Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 3 months ago #8547

• DrJames
  • DrJames's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
I have recently seen a patient get significant side effects from Daclatasvir due (we suspect) to his daily Paw Paw habit. These disappeared with a small dose reduction, but reappeared with increasing the dose.

At 68 kg weight was not the issue, but a careful history revealed he eats Paw Paw every day, and Dr Google came to the rescue turning up this new page:

www.ganfyd.org/index.php?title=Inhibitors_of_CYP3A4

So while Grapefruit juice is known to be a problem Paw Paw, Star Fruit and Pomegranate are also fruits to avoided.

Edit: Grapes have also been observed to cause issues, so add them to the list.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, Chejai, Gaj, isaing4, sonix, Billym, LisaP, Hazel, Hope8

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 3 months ago #8549

• sonix
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Music is life
  • Thank you received: 359
Damn, pawpaws have been really yummy this season. I quit them shortly after starting tx after seeing the same linked article in another thread.
I hope lychees are ok, they're good now too. In moderation, they have decent amount of Vitamin C which is also contraindicated.

It would be great to have a sticky for common foods, vitamins and herbals to avoid during treatment, and recommend any that are helpful. IIRC, gingko, ginseng and St Johns Wort have been mentioned. Drug interactions can already be searched.
M 61yo HCV+ ~ 30 yrs Gt1a F2 VL 223,000 ALT 54 AST 42 Tx start Sof/Dac 17Dec15.
SVR4 at 7Apr16 ALT 22 AST 22
SVR12 at 9Jun16 ALT 23 AST 25
Melbourne, Australia
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, Chejai, Gaj

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 3 months ago #8604

I'm glad I read this. I was going to get a big old paw paw out of the fridge and add it to my juice tomorrow. Thank you.
Infected in the 1980s sometime, diagnosed early 1990s, GT 3, F4, sof/dac commenced 13 Jan 2016

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 2 months ago #9378

Thank you so much for taking the time to check this problem out for me, James. It's been just over a week now without any paw paw and my sides continue to be no where near as bad as what they were. It's a shame it took 5 months of suffering to find out that eating this fruit was probably the cause of all my problems; having the Daclatasvir build up in my system. At least I should now be able to cruise through the final few weeks of tx in peace. :)

Big thanks also to Sylvia Price for all her wonderful info she passed on and also for contacting you to raise this issue.

Great people! Great forum!
Gen 3a 30yrs plus
F3-F4
VL 14,000,000
Treatment Naive
Sof/Dac 20.8.15
EOT 18.2.16
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, Paul-Jarman-facebook, Chejai, Hazel, Donna, Mnem

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 2 months ago #9379

Thats what you get for being so healthy BillyM :)
Two time relapser.

SVR 4 achieved 12/16 at last
SVR 12 achieved 22/02/2017 The Bastard has been defeated :):):)

GT 3 - about 28 yrs with HCV

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 2 months ago #9409

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If you think about it the clue was provided by your brief trial of dose reduction and the sides improving.

Then when we took into account your average weight, and lack of medications that could be doing it we got into supplements, and then diet.

So really you not only helped cure yourself, you have probably saved a number of other people from having similar problems.

There is a real power in crowd sourced knowledge.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, greyhound, Chejai, Billym, Hazel, Donna

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 2 months ago #9445

Ha! Maybe I should have just stuck with toast for breakfast and steak and 3 veg for dinner! ;)
Gen 3a 30yrs plus
F3-F4
VL 14,000,000
Treatment Naive
Sof/Dac 20.8.15
EOT 18.2.16

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 2 months ago #9448

• Gaj
  • Optimist :-)
  • Thank you received: 3082
No marmalade on the toast though, just in case it had Seville oranges or grapefruit it it! :P
G3a since '78 - Dx '12 - F4 (2xHCC)
24wk Tx - PEG/Riba/Dac 2013 relapsed
24wk Tx - Generic Sof/Dac/Riba 2015/16 relapsed
16wk Tx - 12/01/17 -> 03/05/17 NS3/NS5a + Generic Sof
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 2 months ago #9572

• Chejai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • G3a 35yrsHCV
  • Thank you received: 289
Sorry to further dampen things BillyM - red meat (saturated fats) is very hard work for the liver to process; you eat that and probably feel very bloated and tired and need a Siesta to get through it :lol:

How about fish and brown rice with steamed carrots, broccolini, baby corn, snow peas, with a spoonful of coconut milk and lime juice ..mmmmm

Brown rice is far better for you than white - brown only has outer hull removed and hence saves most of the nutrients, white is stripped down so badly it actually has to be fortified with vitamins to be sold here.
Brown rice has protein, fibre, very minimal fat and no other sugars than tiny amount of sucrose; all the Vitamin B complex, minerals - magnesium, manganese, selenium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, iron, calcium, chromium; and NO vitamin A, C, D, E!
Fish will give you protein and omega 3 (depending on type e.g. Salmon is higher), easy to digest; carrots - betacarotene -converts to Vitamin A in your body; broccolini - protein (surprised?) fibre, calcium, potassium, betacarotene, B6 and folate, Vitamin C and other trace minerals.
Awesome, I feel hungry just talking about it :)

Nevertheless, the fact is we no longer can get the Recommended Daily Allowance of our nutrients from food as our grandparents did. Our soils are depleted by overfarming and pesticides; our produce is stored for weeks and months in refrigeration before it reaches our shelves; buying things cut up rather than whole depletes nutrients through oxidation (exposure to air) and the way we cook can further reduce things. Sickness, stress and poor diet/appetite further depletes our bodies and makes us deficient and more time indoors means lack of sunshine and vitamin D. Living in the UK - apparently widespread deficiency of Vitamin D.

Everything works synergistically so taking some supplements without others can be a waste of time because they can't be assimilated in the body. It really is hard to work out what's best for us individually ..... :blink:
QLD Australia ☀️
G3a HCV 35 yrs Tx naive
Started Sof/Dac 13/01/16

Dec '15
AST 70
ALT 89
GGT 124
Fibroscore 8.5
F1-F2
13 Feb'16 VL UND #woohoo!
AST 24
ALT 26
GGT 50H
The following user(s) said Thank You: beaches

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 1 month ago #12853

• Gaj
Now, the following is just anecdotal with no science behind it, probably as much about moderation as CYP3a4 inhibitors:

About 3-4 weeks ago my sides seem to be increasing somewhat, nothing real bad but I just wasn't feeling that great any more, nothing I could really put a finger on, just a little bleah! Then 2 weeks ago I was reading one of Greg's posts on his blog and he included Grapes in the list of items that were potential CYP3a4 inhibitors that should be avoided when on Daclatasvir. My first thought was "nup, grape seed oil is an inhibitor but not grapes". A very quick google confirmed that I was correct so I grabbed another handful of grapes out of the fruit bowl. Hey, it's grape season and they're $3-4 a kilo and I like grapes so there is always a bunch in the bowl and I graze as I walk past throughout the day, probably 5-6 times a day, at least 1/4 to 1/3 kg a day!!! :blush: Ohh.....wait! Maybe time for some more research? Well I still couldn't find anything specific but grape seeds used to make the oil come from grapes and grape skins contain resveratrol which has some effects as a 3a4 inactivator www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11125847.

Anyway, nothing definite but I decided that this year I could probably live without gorging myself on grapes. The slightly toxic effects I was feeling seem to have gone now too. Maybe it was related, maybe it wasn't? Maybe I was just eating too many grapes? I don't know but thought I would include here just in case others were eating a lot of grapes and had sides.

And on the moderation thing, I suggest you do as I say rather than follow what I do! #roflmao
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hazel

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 1 month ago #12855

• Hazel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1699
Similarly early in treatment I was eating way too many raspberries-big season just going on and on- I was also on riba at the raspberry stage but I felt so ill, I blamed it all on the meds. But I had the impression at the time, I wasn't just flushing red in face but an unnatural sort of purple! A relative just sent me a photo and it is clear- I was turning into a raspberry right when I was weakest. I suppose the moral would be nothing in excess, but I'm tempted to say add raspberries to the fruits to reduce or avoid.
Genotype 3 30 years, 2x treatment interferon/ribavirin non responder. Cirrhosis 17 years. Fibroscan, decompensating, 40 down to 22 by 29/3/16- now down to 6.5, normal, no cirrhosis. Started Buyers Club Sof/Dac 14 Nov 15. SVR 12 29/0716

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 1 month ago #12857

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure I posted it here but there was a vegetarian lady with a fairly large daily grape consumption getting daclatasvir side effects.

A dose reduction showed instant effect, and a grape reduction seems to have solved the issue.

So the list of no go fruits is grapefruit, grapes, pawpaw, starfruit and pomegranate

There are almost certainly other things that will cause issues.

To me the best solution is to eat a bit of everything and not too much of anything.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaj

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 1 month ago #12867

• Gaj
:blush: :blush: :blush:

Looks like I can't even RTFM, now I'm even more embarrassed!
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 1 month ago #12871

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Gaj,

Actually it's my fault. I knew about it and mentioned it under Taurine (as you do!)

fixhepc.com/forum/experts-corner/714-tau...t-failure.html#10953

....but did not add it to the fruit list. My bad.

Interesting to see that it has been independently observed!

So although Oscar Wilde is quoted

“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

with food and DAAs I think variety and moderation are good ideas.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, Gaj, Donna

CYP3A4 Inhibitors and Daclatasvir - Fruits 8 years 1 month ago #12890

RecSofo/DAC - It seems some things induce and some things inhibit?
*Confused*
GT1a Dec14 F2/8.7 VL 900000-2.5M
Jan16 Hepcivir-L MonkMed/Redemption
Baseline: VL 913575 Alt 76 Platelets low
Wk2 VL1157 Alt 23
DET Wk 8 VL 32 Alt19 'In the slow lane'
June16 Fibro 5.7 F0/1 LIF 1.5
Wk 11 VL<12 Alt 13 Det/Unq
Extending tx 12 wks Mylan Sofo/Dac MonkMed
Wk 14 VL <12 Det/Unq
Wk 16 VL UNDETECTED
Wk 22 + 4 Wks Sunprevir FixHepC