TOPIC:

Ribavirin Resistance 8 years 6 months ago #1271

• dointime
  • dointime's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 474
Hi All,

I notice that ribavirin resistance seems to have crept into the narrative here. I am not sure if there is such a thing. I have seen one study in vitro where I believe they produced variants resistant to ribavirin. I have seen nothing which shows that you can get in vivo resistance to ribavirin. I would like to see the evidence if anybody has any?

For years people treated repeatedly with ifn and riba and it was widely believed that resistance to either of those drugs did not develop. In current times, the AASLD guidelines still recommend retreatment with ribavirin for some people who have treated with it before. Evidence from the Harvoni trials confirms that retreatment with ribavirin in some cases does make a difference. So I have to ask myself what is going on here? Is the ribavirin making a difference but just not as big as it would make if it had never been used before? Or is ribavirin resistance in vivo a myth?

I saw my doc the other day and asked him this question. He is now a virology Prof. of standing, the real deal who came all the way through from the early days of the HIV epidemic. He says there is no such thng as ribavirin resistance. Now I am prepared to entertain the idea that he is wrong, but his opinion does carry weight.

On a personal note, I am trying to decide whether or not to add ribavirin to my own tx. From experience I think that it will give me a bad rash. If it is not going to be useful then I would happily forego that horrible experience. So, evidence please for ribavirin resistance in vivo?

dointime

Ribavirin Resistance 8 years 6 months ago #1274

• emilio
  • In the field of opportunity its ploughing time
  • Thank you received: 475
Hi DT

Here is a study which I found this evening from 2011 At the time I attached this I hadn't read the article but did have a quick scan. Seems to be a bit of research available on the ribavirin resistant strains of HCV???

www.virologyj.com/content/8/1/402
Geno 1b F2/3 snce early 80s. Treated in 2008_9 for 63 weeks on INF/Riba. Commence Sof/Dac on 6 October 2015 and completed 18 weeks of tx. UND at 4-6 weeks, UND at EOT, SVR 2, SVR 6 and SVR 12 on 6 May 2016.

Ribavirin Resistance 8 years 6 months ago #1303

• Nadia
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 3a F0 Sof/Dac from 01.10.2015
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Doingtime, have a look at this video from a Congress in Germany in September this year.

fixhepc.com/forum/drug-interactions/163-...clude-ribavirin.html

Virus not detected from 14.10.2015
The following user(s) said Thank You: dointime, Sir-Paul-Paul-MJ-twitter

Ribavirin Resistance 8 years 6 months ago #1308

• dointime
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nadia,
That is a very interesting video. Many thanks for posting.

Ribavirin Resistance 8 years 6 months ago #1330

• dointime
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey, thanks Em. Very good information.
And all the best with your tx :)
dt

Ribavirin Resistance 8 years 6 months ago #1365

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member