The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

platelets / low white blood cell count-- causes 7 years 8 months ago #20436

Hi Everyone , have just finished 6 month treatment on sof/dac
was undx at 7 weeks all the way through - am F3 gen 3a--- 4 varices -
had blood tests last week liver functions -normal ranges- undx for hep c- no HCC-
however platelets had plummeted down to 35,000-- down from 50,000--
consultant couldnt shed any light on why etc .

so my question re platelets is what causes low numbers - does the bone marrow stop making them ?? do they all get stuck in the spleen and destroyed there? My spleen has been enlarged-- is it am auto immune reaction--
completely in the dark about this ---

any feedback /experiences opinions glady appreciated -- as this is causing me alot of anxiety..

thanks from
Bob in ireland
The following user(s) said Thank You: coral, beaches, fitz

platelets / low white blood cell count-- causes 7 years 8 months ago #20456

• coral
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1812
Hi Bob,

Congratulations on finally finishing your treatment. Six months is quite a marathon. B)

I have had a low platelet count for a number of years which was described by a doctor in 2014 as mild chronic thrombocytopenia.
My blood results indicate that a normal range is between is 150 - 400 and mine were around 140 for a few years and went down to 119 in my first UND blood test 12 weeks into HCV treatment. Interestingly my recent SVR11 test which indicated that I was HCV positive again showed my platelets as 169 so I got Hep C back again but gained a normal platelet count. (I'd rather the reverse!).

The liver and bone marrow have a role in platelet control and production. I am no medical expert but my previous research suggests that thrombocytopenia can be caused by a number of things including viral infections. An enlarged spleen also plays a role but in a different way. We also recently confirmed that I have a gene associated with Haemochromatosis which may account my high Iron results (it's an iron overload disorder). There can be a relationship between Thrombocytopenia and Haemochromatosis.

My doctors have not been alarmed by my low platelet count although we have all been distracted by my HCV but it is something to keep an eye on. This has been my experience but I'm sure medical professional will be able to provide a more thorough overview.
G1a probably early 1980's, Biopsy F1(2010), F2-F3(2015). VL 5+mill; 2+mill (2014) Tx naive. Accessed Sof/Led through Dr Freeman at GP2U and Buyers Club (lifesavers!!!)
Commenced tx 12/11/15. 9 wk: VL <15 Detected but LFT = Normal 12 week results: UND (Yay!) Due to slow response commenced Sof/Dac 4 Feb for 12 weeks. EOT @ 24 weeks 27 April 2016. (With thanks to Dr Freeman et al). SVR11 result: VL 1,950,000. It's back!
New tx 030916 (Viekira Pak, Solvadi, Ribavirin UND @ 111116. EOT 170217.
SVR12 and SVR 24
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaj, Bob in ireland, fitz

platelets / low white blood cell count-- causes 7 years 8 months ago #20457

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hi Bob,

Platelet numbers (and others) relate to

1) Production Rate
2) Lifespan
3) Destruction Rate

With you it's likely that the production rate is normalish (may be a bit low as an unusual DAA side effect). Platelet lifespan is short so not likely to be an issue which brings us to destruction.....

You have varices because of increase portal pressures from cirrhosis. Your spleen will also be swollen and it destroys the platelets.

With luck it will settle off the meds.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, coral, beaches, Bob in ireland, fitz

platelets / low white blood cell count-- causes 7 years 8 months ago #20579

Hi :) Thanks James and Coral - am relaxing for a month over in uk --

Bob :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: fitz
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC