Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

HCV & LOW TESTOSTERONE 7 years 9 months ago #19279

After completing a 12mths peg-interferon ribavirin treatment in 2003, I was diagnosed with low testosterone.
I've been having testosterone replacement therapy every 3 mths to keep my levels up for the past 13 years.
Since finishing my 24 week Sof, Led & Riba treatment & reaching SVR 12, I've just had my testosterone levels checked & my levels appear not to be dropping.
Could this mean that the HCV was causing the low testosterone & since clearing the virus my body is naturally producing testosterone?
Australian
Geno type 1a
Fibrosis 3-4
Treatment experienced Peg-Interferon Ribavirin (Relapsed)
Started 22/10/15 DAA's 24 weeks Sofosbuvir Ledisbovir & 12 weeks Ribavirin
Viral Load at week 4 <15 Detected
Viral Load at week 12 Undetected
Viral Load at week 24 Undetected
Viral Load SVR4 Undetected
Viral Load SVR12 Undetected
The following user(s) said Thank You: A.L., fitz

HCV & LOW TESTOSTERONE 7 years 9 months ago #19295

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Here is a blog post of mine about testosterone from an update. The experts now agree! (See the attached PDF with new consensus guidelines).

There's an apocryphal story in medicine that goes like this:

An eminent professor concluded his speech to the graduating class with the following comment:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, 50% of everything we have taught you about medicine is wrong, the trouble is, at the moment, we don't know which 50%. Your job is to work it out"

In medicine we have interesting, and contradictory, positions with respect to hormone replacement.

In women we recognise a condition called menopause, which happens to women in their 40s and 50s when the levels of the hormones oestrogen and progesterone fall rapidly and the menstrual cycle becomes first erratic, then stops altogether.

We know that many women get symptomatic relief from symptoms of menopause like hot flushes, night sweats, and mood swings if we give them small doses of these missing hormones.

In men the situation is a little different. Testosterone is the primary male hormone, and levels start falling more or less immediately after sexual maturity is reached in the early 20s.

It has taken medical science a long time to get it's head around thinking that males also experience a form or menopause, which some people call Andropause. Perhaps it's because the decline is so slow, or it's because there is no obvious "change of life", other than the pervasive male middle aged spread?

We are now at the point where it has been found that men with Testosterone levels in the lowest 25% actually have the highest levels of cardiovascular mortality - ie die from strokes and heart attacks

Furthermore supplemental testosterone is safe for cardiovascular health , according to research presented at a meeting of the American Heart Association in Chicago.

It shows men on supplementation have reduced overall rates of major adverse cardiac events at one and three years after their initial low levels of testosterone were measured compared with men with persistently low levels of testosterone.

The study results coincide with an FDA evaluation of the safety of testosterone supplementation and whether it is a risk to the health of older men.

The researchers say it provides reassurance to doctors who can use testosterone with less concern about its effect on patients' heart health.

"With this study we are getting closer to defining the true associations between testosterone treatment and cardiovascular risks or benefits," says study leader Jeffrey Anderson, a cardiologist at the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute.

So if you're a man, battling middle aged spread and loss of libido perhaps you should talk to your doctor about having you testosterone level measured, and if it's low, considering supplementation?

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

YMMV
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tina-Hill-facebook, Meg, GT2, fitz

HCV & LOW TESTOSTERONE 7 years 9 months ago #19337

• A.L.
  • Thank you received: 29
Very interesting, M.H. Like the doctor said, all things are possible.
Just curious – what were the effects of low testosterone and did you notice any changes with the supplementation therapy?
G4, F4, cirrhosis.

Thank you to Gilead, Michael Sofia, and the terrific folk at FixHepC for making this adventure possible.

YEAR..... ALT..... AST..... GGT... FERRITIN........................................
2009....... 210..... 215..... 953..... 1400........... (Bad health, stupidity)
2015....... 60....... 45....... 150..... 360............. (Improved diet and health, FixHepC treatment)
2016....... 20....... 24....... 25....... 156............. (SVR 12)

HCV & LOW TESTOSTERONE 7 years 9 months ago #19347

• sonix
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Music is life
  • Thank you received: 359
Read this a while back - Boosting testosterone doesn't do much for flagging sex life or low energy, research finds
Although if you read the source quoted in that article, it says improvement was noted in sex life, but not overall vitality - www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1506119#t=abstract

Damn reporters should read what they are reporting on.
M 61yo HCV+ ~ 30 yrs Gt1a F2 VL 223,000 ALT 54 AST 42 Tx start Sof/Dac 17Dec15.
SVR4 at 7Apr16 ALT 22 AST 22
SVR12 at 9Jun16 ALT 23 AST 25
Melbourne, Australia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meg

HCV & LOW TESTOSTERONE 7 years 9 months ago #19348

Ok........ 13 years of 1st hand experience.
In 2003, my testosterone levels dropped down to 4 nmo1/L for what ever reason.
Normal range is 11.0 - 40.0
At level 4 I couldn't even scratch myself, (no energy or libido)
After I have my 3 monthly testosterone injection, my levels increase & so does my energy & libido.
I'm seeing my endocrinologist next month to look at my levels & maybe able to get off the replacement therapy .
Australian
Geno type 1a
Fibrosis 3-4
Treatment experienced Peg-Interferon Ribavirin (Relapsed)
Started 22/10/15 DAA's 24 weeks Sofosbuvir Ledisbovir & 12 weeks Ribavirin
Viral Load at week 4 <15 Detected
Viral Load at week 12 Undetected
Viral Load at week 24 Undetected
Viral Load SVR4 Undetected
Viral Load SVR12 Undetected
The following user(s) said Thank You: A.L., Meg

HCV & LOW TESTOSTERONE 7 years 9 months ago #19411

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My experience is anecdotal - ie what patients tell me after we make the diagnosis of low testosterone and fix the problem - and it's quite similar to what happens to most patients with symptomatic HCV. Treatment makes people feel better. It's a nice gift to be able to give.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaj, Meg, GT2, fitz, Donna

HCV & LOW TESTOSTERONE 7 years 6 months ago #21866

• A.L.
  • Thank you received: 29

Michael Henry wrote: Ok........ 13 years of 1st hand experience.
In 2003, my testosterone levels dropped down to 4 nmo1/L for what ever reason.
Normal range is 11.0 - 40.0
At level 4 I couldn't even scratch myself, (no energy or libido)
After I have my 3 monthly testosterone injection, my levels increase & so does my energy & libido.
I'm seeing my endocrinologist next month to look at my levels & maybe able to get off the replacement therapy .

Very interesting, M.H. I might bring it up with my GP just in case.
G4, F4, cirrhosis.

Thank you to Gilead, Michael Sofia, and the terrific folk at FixHepC for making this adventure possible.

YEAR..... ALT..... AST..... GGT... FERRITIN........................................
2009....... 210..... 215..... 953..... 1400........... (Bad health, stupidity)
2015....... 60....... 45....... 150..... 360............. (Improved diet and health, FixHepC treatment)
2016....... 20....... 24....... 25....... 156............. (SVR 12)

HCV & LOW TESTOSTERONE 7 years 6 months ago #21919

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The medical profession remains very split on testosterone but it seems the tide is turning although the Australian Endocrine Society has recently issued advice that flies in the face of recent international opinion.

The normal range - 28 (at age 18) to 8 (at age 80) seems a problem. It seems like it should be age adjusted so 20-40 in the 20s, 15-30 in the 40s and 8-20 in the 60s would be more in line with the question "Is this person normal/deficient for age". With things like blood pressure we do have different values for different age people because what's normal for a child is too low for an adult and with age higher blood pressures become normal as the arteries harden.

The clinical profile I've seen anecdotally is depression, low libido, elevated triglycerides along with more common things like weight gain, diabetes and hypertension. I've seen that profile go back to fit and well with testosterone in patients who hit the previous limit of <8 (it's now <6 for government funding). I've seen a few patients in the low double digits, started on testosterone by themselves (Internet) or others report similar things, but mindful of not being too far outside the envelope limit myself to patients with single digit levels in line with the old guidelines.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. Eugene, fitz
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC