Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19751

• JamesF
  • JamesF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 74
How important is it to take your medication at EXACTLY the same time every day?
is there a window of 1 hour either side of your regular time?
Can HCV become resistant to the drugs in the same way that HIV can if HIV drugs are not strictly taken in the same window period each day?

I will aim for the same time each day, I'm just wondering if I am unable at any stage, how dramatic will the consequences be.
2 wk: VL UND, ALT 30
37K RNA, ALT 486
Tx begin 20 July 2016
Tx naive
The following user(s) said Thank You: beaches, Matt-Kenney-google, GT2, fitz

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19752

• beaches
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The life you save will be your own. START TREATMENT
  • Thank you received: 2254
I missed one.
I took mine late at night because I figured (and this is not backed up by any medical knowledge) if I was sleeping then the drugs could work with no interference and hopefully I wouldn't feel any side effects.
I get up early every morning, either for swimming or Yoga, and I realised when I got up and I took the missed pill then.
After that I took to counting the remaining pills and counting back to when I started the bottle, so then I knew I was on track.
I read in one of Dr James's posts that pretty much everyone misses the odd one, also it takes a few days for the drugs to leave your system.
I think you just need to work out a system that works for you. Like maybe set up a reminder on your phone.
Genotype 1a
Diagnosed in 2004, had HCV for all my adult life. Until 2016!!!!
Harvoni treatment, started 19 March 2016
4 week results Bilirubin 12 down from 14 pre treatment,
Gamma 25 down from 52, ALT 19 down from 63, AST 19 down from 47,
VL <15 down from a lazy 6 million or so

EOT Results
Bilirubin 10, GGT 18, ALT 19, AST 21, VL UND

12 Weeks post EOT
Bilirubin 11, GGT 16, ALT 22, AST 20, VL UND
Cured baby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt-Kenney-google, GT2, fitz, JamesF

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19755

Took mine every morning with phone alarm before getting up. (Important I feel). There is still a little confusion as to if I missed one dose or took 2 once by mistake ! I forget the details now and I had some confusion swapping to different meds & dates changing etc... I had a 7 day pill box with days of the week on too. I think the odd day is fine as beaches says.

It's when I went away from home I used to get anxious, what if transport didn't get me home on time? (very common in England!) so I used to take an extra one, just in case I was detained by the power of public transport!
GT1a Dec14 F2/8.7 VL 900000-2.5M
Jan16 Hepcivir-L MonkMed/Redemption
Baseline: VL 913575 Alt 76 Platelets low
Wk2 VL1157 Alt 23
DET Wk 8 VL 32 Alt19 'In the slow lane'
June16 Fibro 5.7 F0/1 LIF 1.5
Wk 11 VL<12 Alt 13 Det/Unq
Extending tx 12 wks Mylan Sofo/Dac MonkMed
Wk 14 VL <12 Det/Unq
Wk 16 VL UNDETECTED
Wk 22 + 4 Wks Sunprevir FixHepC
Wk 24 UNDETECTED Alt 13
Wk 12 post tx SVR12 Wk 26 SVR24
Thank-you Tim, Dr Debasis @ MonkMed & Dr Freeman @ Fix HepC
The following user(s) said Thank You: beaches, Matt-Kenney-google, GT2, fitz, JamesF

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19756

• Gaj
  • Optimist :-)
  • Thank you received: 3082
Hi JamesF,

Here's a link to Dr James' comments. fixhepc.com/forum/questions-and-answers/...take-extra.html#9328

As the others say, it is a good idea to take at the same time each day so it is a habit. I took mine when I got up and used a 7 day pill box so I didn't lose track. That always sat on my place at the dining table where my cereal bowl needed to go so I had to move it to eat meals which made it difficult to forget to take my dose. As beaches says many set their phone alarm as a reminder.
G3a since '78 - Dx '12 - F4 (2xHCC)
24wk Tx - PEG/Riba/Dac 2013 relapsed
24wk Tx - Generic Sof/Dac/Riba 2015/16 relapsed
16wk Tx - 12/01/17 -> 03/05/17 NS3/NS5a + Generic Sof
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: beaches, Matt-Kenney-google, GT2, fitz, JamesF

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19776

• JamesF
Great. thanks, guys!

yes, I'm using my phone alarm.
i take mine in the morning as i take other meds at night.
37K RNA, ALT 486
Tx begin 20 July 2016
Tx naive
The following user(s) said Thank You: beaches, Matt-Kenney-google, fitz

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19784

• coral
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1812
Hi James,

I took mine at night as I guess initially I wanted to give the medication a clear run and I wasn't sure what the side effects would be (minimal as it turned out). There were a couple of times when I realised I'd forgotten just when I was drifting off to sleep and had to get out of bed to take the tablets. I missed twice when I was travelling and took them the next morning. There does seem to be some margin for error.

If I had to take the medication again (and who knows - I'm waiting for my 12 week SVR results) I would probably take them in the morning to give my memory a better chance. I think the phone alarm is a great idea. #flower
G1a probably early 1980's, Biopsy F1(2010), F2-F3(2015). VL 5+mill; 2+mill (2014) Tx naive. Accessed Sof/Led through Dr Freeman at GP2U and Buyers Club (lifesavers!!!)
Commenced tx 12/11/15. 9 wk: VL <15 Detected but LFT = Normal 12 week results: UND (Yay!) Due to slow response commenced Sof/Dac 4 Feb for 12 weeks. EOT @ 24 weeks 27 April 2016. (With thanks to Dr Freeman et al). SVR11 result: VL 1,950,000. It's back!
New tx 030916 (Viekira Pak, Solvadi, Ribavirin UND @ 111116. EOT 170217.
SVR12 and SVR 24
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, Matt-Kenney-google, fitz, JamesF

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19823

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hi James,

Don't sweat it too much. I do suggest setting an alarm but you blood levels do this when you take once a day medications:

So you can see they go up and down every day, and increase fast to start with and then slow.

The high point is called the peak and the low point the trough. If you are late with a dose all that happens is that the trough level falls a bit more. Provided that the trough is still above the MIC (Minimum Inhibitory Concentration) then the virus gets no opportunity to capitalise. The standard dose gives you plenty of wiggle room on the MIC and the only circumstance it might matter even a little bit is a long delay in the context of some pretty nasty RAVs.

So, do take it as close to the same time each day as you can, but don't panic if you're a bit late, or even if you miss a day (most people do this).

I had one patient - GT2 to be fair so easy to cure - who took his meds for 4 weeks, forgot them for a 2 week holiday, took them for another 4 weeks and then just left the rest in the bottle. Lucky bastard still got SVR12 which seems totally unrighteous, but there you go.
YMMV
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaj, fitz, Sven, JamesF

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19840

• fretboard
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Defender-Against Big Pharma!
  • Thank you received: 340

JamesF wrote: How important is it to take your medication at EXACTLY the same time every day?
is there a window of 1 hour either side of your regular time?

I forget where I read it at but it's safe to stay within a 3 hour window, meaning if you gotta take it later that's fine. I take mine at night time, sometimes 10pm, sometimes 12pm, maybe a little later but never more than a 3 hour window. Reason I follow that rule is simply b/c of a blood pressure concern. When I first started, like the first week or two my blood pressure skyrocketed. Other than that and a weird pain feeling in my legs at around 6 weeks, after that not too many sx's at all.
G1a dx'd in 1992, Biopsy F2 VL 8mill +. Tried tx with Interferon/Riba, back in 2008 didn't last long it felt horribly ugly!! I stopped tx, after 5 weeks!!
Started tx 6/1/16 with Harvoni.
12 Month Labs= UND
The following user(s) said Thank You: fitz, JamesF

Adherence 7 years 9 months ago #19895

• JamesF
Thank you. It is my aim to be as adherent as possible, but I like to be informed. :)
37K RNA, ALT 486
Tx begin 20 July 2016
Tx naive
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaj, fitz
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC