Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 8 years 3 months ago #7028

• Phoenix
  • Phoenix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 84
Would love to hear from someone knowledgeable about CYP3A4 and soy. Is the research I linked to reliable and relevant for our purposes? Is soy an inducer of CYP3A4? If so, is it a strong inducer?

BTW just got up at 6am and I'm feeling fine. Not unheard of, but not usual for me...

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: zhuk

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 8 years 3 months ago #7196

• zhuk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 502
With you on that Pheonix, something definitive...but ditching it just in case seemed the wisest move.

What about omega? I hadn't read anything that would contraindicate fish oil, for example (have been taking it daily as I usually do)

Apologies for my late showing here guys , dodgy net connection was playing up with the recent rain/monsoon lol :pinch:

Edit: Right, now I'm confused...two contradictory links for omega-3

(Although possibly the webmd link is concermed with all those substances taken together, I'm not sure)

www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/daclatas...44-0-1749-14959.html

www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-152082/folic-...9/dmtitle-potent-cyp
GT1a since 1988, diagnosed 1990
F0, tx naive
VL 262,000 ALT 40 AST 26 GGT 13 Fibroscan 04/12/15 - 2.9
Started Mesochem sof/dac 12 weeks 01/01/2016
11/02/2016 - 6 weeks UNDETECTED
AST 26
ALT 26

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 8 years 3 months ago #7208

• Gaj
  • Optimist :-)
  • Thank you received: 3082
Only found the following wiki quote on EPA (Omega 3) as a cyp3a4 inhibitor.

"EPA has an inhibitory effect on CYP2C9 and CYP2C19 hepatic enzymes. At a high dose, it may also inhibit the activity of CYP2D6 and CYP3A4, important enzymes involved in drug metabolism.[13]"

So don't take too much and don't have within a few hours of Dac. Or eat a nice bit of Tassie Salmon instead.......omega 3, B12, D3, protein and many other essentials in a yummy meal. :) :) :)

Warning: the above should not be taken as medical advice but may be viewed as considered anglers opinion.
G3a since '78 - Dx '12 - F4 (2xHCC)
24wk Tx - PEG/Riba/Dac 2013 relapsed
24wk Tx - Generic Sof/Dac/Riba 2015/16 relapsed
16wk Tx - 12/01/17 -> 03/05/17 NS3/NS5a + Generic Sof
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dointime, zhuk

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 8 years 3 months ago #7215

• zhuk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 502
Cheers GAJ :)

Well I habitually take 3000 mg/day, usually a couple of hours after the dac...but not from tomorrow lol

Hopefully it hasn't done too much harm, as its only been one week. Fingers crossed

And I am a semi 'recovering vegetarian' lol so salmon could well be on the cards :P
GT1a since 1988, diagnosed 1990
F0, tx naive
VL 262,000 ALT 40 AST 26 GGT 13 Fibroscan 04/12/15 - 2.9
Started Mesochem sof/dac 12 weeks 01/01/2016
11/02/2016 - 6 weeks UNDETECTED
AST 26
ALT 26

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 7 years 1 month ago #24019

• ratus
  • Thank you received: 4
well searching about i found some studies about soy (it's also about ginseng but that was not the related topic

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12817527

To determine if soy extract or Panax ginseng increases the urinary excretion of the 6-β-hydroxycortisol/cortisol ratio as a marker of cytochrome P450 (CYP) 3A enzyme induction, subjects received a soy extract containing 50 mg isoflavones twice daily (n = 20) or Panax ginseng 100 mg standardized to 4% ginsenosides twice daily (n = 20) for 14 days. Neither Panax ginseng nor soy extract significantly altered the urinary 6-β-OH-cortisol/cortisol ratio, suggesting that unlike St. John's wort, they are not CYP3A inducers. Studies in vitro using human liver microsomes were performed to determine the effect of soy extract on probe substrates of CYP and UDP glucuronosyltransferase (UGT). Unhydrolyzed soy extract produced very little inhibition of CYP1A2, CYP2A6, and CYP2D6 and a trend of activation of CYP3A4. Hydrolyzed soy extract showed inhibition of all of the CYPs tested, particularly CYP2C9 and CYP3A4. UGT2B15 was the only UGT significantly inhibited. Even though both soy extract and ginseng have been shown to activate CYP3A4 in vitro, there is a lack of an in vitro correlation with the in vivo effects.

then

medicinalplants.us/herb-drug-interactions-soya

About Soy fermented natto ( different from miso ..)

Experimental evidence
Experiments in animals to investigate the clinical observations for natto found that natto strongly antagonised the effects of warfarin.In one in vitro metabolism study in human liver microsomes,hydrolysed soya extract inhibited all of the cytochrome P450 isoenzymes tested, particularly CYP2C9 and CYP3A4 (which are responsible for the metabolism of warfarin). This suggests that an increased warfarin effect might have been expected, but the authors point out there is a lack of concordance between in vitro and in vivo findings.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mnem

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 7 years 1 month ago #24020

• Mnem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Too many lives go into the making of just one. - Montale
  • Thank you received: 223
G2, infected maybe in 1971?
Diagnosed HVnon-A non-B 1980s, revised to HVC 1990's.
Treatment naive. Fibroscan & bloods all normal ranges.
Viral load 7million,
began Redemption trial4, 12-week generic Sof/Vel (Incepta) 2017. Week 4 UND, Week 12UND, SVR24
Thank-yous to my doctor for the script, to Jan at FixHepC for wrangling, and to Dr Freeman for courage.
Kia kaha e hoa ma!

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 7 years 1 month ago #24021

• Mnem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Too many lives go into the making of just one. - Montale
  • Thank you received: 223
Hi Ratus, This may be another example of the old idea that so long as you eat a variety of foods each day, and over the course of weeks and months, that makes it hard to eat or drink too much of any single food constituent. The table in here http://www.ars.usda.gov/nutrientdata shows soy isoflavone levels in different foods
G2, infected maybe in 1971?
Diagnosed HVnon-A non-B 1980s, revised to HVC 1990's.
Treatment naive. Fibroscan & bloods all normal ranges.
Viral load 7million,
began Redemption trial4, 12-week generic Sof/Vel (Incepta) 2017. Week 4 UND, Week 12UND, SVR24
Thank-yous to my doctor for the script, to Jan at FixHepC for wrangling, and to Dr Freeman for courage.
Kia kaha e hoa ma!

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 7 years 1 month ago #24026

• happi
  • Thank you received: 37
I've had stomach problems for last several years. Nothing serious, just acid, burning etc. Had to take stuff to relieve every other day almost. kept Walmart up buying Rolaids, Mylanta and such\. About two weeks into Tx stomach problems got better fast. after three weeks, hardly any at all. I had been told it was Hepc related, and I'm hoping it was. I feel better overall now 4th week of Tx. Only sides is low energy, but seems to be getting better each day. I don't eat any of the stuff y'all are talking about, but i do try to eat healthy.

happi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul-Jarman-facebook, Gaj

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 7 years 4 weeks ago #24028

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263

hydrolysed soya extract inhibited all of the cytochrome P450 isoenzymes tested

So the worst case would be higher levels of Daclatasvir. More sides, but no increased risk of treatment failure.

A good varied diet - not eating the same stuff day after day - is a good way to avoid interactions (known or unknown) as well as being a pretty good way to eat.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul-Jarman-facebook

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 7 years 4 weeks ago #24029

• ratus
one point is the succes of the treatment seems not different by country
some people eats/drinks a lot of inducers (coffee,green tea,soy,etc..
some others inhibitors like furocoumarins
that furocoumarins are found in large quantities in many fruits and vegetables such as parsley, celery, dill, carrot, chervil, fennel, coriander, cumin, lime, pomelo, bitter orange, bergamot, mandarin , Lemon and many others

so same conclusion

A good varied diet - not eating the same stuff day after day - is a good way to avoid interactions (known or unknown) as well as being a pretty good way to eat.

i agree and i think
maybe it's better to take treatment with a light dinner (i mean light in furocoumarin,omega 3 ,...etc)

Soy an inducer of CYP3A4 ? 7 years 4 weeks ago #24030

• ratus
i was reading that i found interesting (not directly concern HepC but a lot of interested point about CYP 3A4)
for exemple

Other Herbals: CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 Activity
Other CYP3A4 inhibitors include Chamomile extracts and tea39, Serenoa repens (Saw palmetto)40, as well as other herbals and spices such as sage, thyme, cloves, the soybean components daidzein and genistein41, pergamottin (active component of grapefruit juice) and glabridin42 (active component of licorice extracts and teas). ]

home.earthlink.net/~ckaniklidis/interactions.htm#DrugHerb
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC