Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8496

Hello,

Does anyone have a feeling that your toes(or feet) have really thick socks on, when you don´t? I went online and it has a name. Peripheral Neuropathy. Is this caused by HCV? Any information will be appreciated.

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8497

• Tommy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 210
Peripheral Neuropathy is common in people with hep c. Put hepatitis C and Peripheral Neuropathy in a search engine. You should get a ton of info.
Genotype 1A
ALT 473
AST 226
Virus Load 3,119,030
Results as of May-2016
5 week viral load/undetected as of 12/02/2016
Liver Biopsy Results from Feb 2013
Portal/Periportal chronic inflammation and mild interface hepatitis (Grade 2)
Focal Lobular chronic inflammation (Grade 1)
Portal/Periportal fibrosis (stage 1-2 trichrome and reticulin stains utilized)
Negative Iron stains.
The following user(s) said Thank You: teacher.pet

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8498

• Dan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 154
As well as that my feet and hands get so freezing. I hope it will go away after tx
Gen 1b, F1-F2. Naive.
Started Twinvir tx on 2 nd of December 2015 for 12 weeks.
Starting VL 400000, Alt 49/AST 44
1 week VL 29, ALT 44/AST 30.
4 weeks VL 12, ALT 33, Platelets 145, all other tests normal.
7 weeks VL Detected, ALT 28, all other normal
8 weeks UND, 12 week UND, 24 week SVR UND

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8500

• Enkel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165

Dan wrote: As well as that my feet and hands get so freezing. I hope it will go away after tx

I have that freezing too, but i have when i stay sitting, cold feets and hands
Male, Fibro F1. Geno 1b. ALT 67 before treatment Viral load 5 million. My huge viral load replicates in my nervous system as I suffer anxiety.
Started Twinvir 12/12/15.
Two weeks
ALT 17 at 2 weeks
Viral Load UND at 2 weeks
ALT 13.5 at 7 weeks EOT
ALT 10.5 at 15 weeks EOT
ALT 13 at 27 weeks EOT, VL UND, Cured

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8504

• Enkel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165

teacher.pet wrote: Hello,

Does anyone have a feeling that your toes(or feet) have really thick socks on, when you don´t? I went online and it has a name. Peripheral Neuropathy. Is this caused by HCV? Any information will be appreciated.

fixhepc.com/forum/experts-corner/443-hcv...ystem-disorders.html
Male, Fibro F1. Geno 1b. ALT 67 before treatment Viral load 5 million. My huge viral load replicates in my nervous system as I suffer anxiety.
Started Twinvir 12/12/15.
Two weeks
ALT 17 at 2 weeks
Viral Load UND at 2 weeks
ALT 13.5 at 7 weeks EOT
ALT 10.5 at 15 weeks EOT
ALT 13 at 27 weeks EOT, VL UND, Cured

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8520

Yes, I have had that for about 15 years. My feet are at the same time both numb and hyper-sensitive. A grain of sand in my shoe can feel like a pebble to me, yet my toes always feel numb. And cold, whether they actually are or not. My doctor attributed it to diabetes (type 2), as I was diagnosed with diabetes a year or so before hep-c.

At first my neuropathy pain was unbearable. My PCP sent me to a neurologist who, after running tests, called it ideopathic peripheral neuropathy. The intense stabbing pains in my feet have subsided for the most part to the point that I only have them now and again. Maddeningly, they usually occur at night, interfering with my onset of sleep. The numbness and all that has been with me all this time, though.

I was reading the thread Enkel posted a link to (above); it explains a LOT. So based on that I am hopeful that a successful hep-c treatment will clear that up, at least somewhat.
The Dude is damn tired of abiding
Diagnosed 2001
Peg-int + Riba all of 2002, FAIL
Latest bloods 12/29/15:
Sodium, tad low
Glucose, way high
BUN, tad high
SGPT (ALT), 862 (15-78)
SGOT (AST), 283 (9-44)
ALP, 216 (37-127)
B/C ratio, 25.2 (10-20)
Cholesterol, tad low - HDL, good; LDL, 73 (80-130)

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8620

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263

I have a few patients with peripheral neuropathy (what you are describing). Here's the Mayo clinic list of causes:

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/p.../causes/con-20019948

Diabetes is common in people with HCV and can cause it. Vitamin deficiencies (B group) are another common one.

Getting checked for diabetes and adding B vitamin supplementation (good for SVR too) would be a good start.

Don't ignore it, unless of course it goes away with treatment.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chejai, The_1B_Dude_Abides

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8656

• Dan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I was told by one doctor in the past, that too much B vitamin is not good for you and he adviced to take it just twice a week.

Ill increase the intake of Vit B after tomorrow's blood test.
Gen 1b, F1-F2. Naive.

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8710

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263

I was told by one doctor in the past, that too much B vitamin is not good for you and he advised to take it just twice a week.

In most circumstances this would be good advice. Most of us don't need vitamin supplementation (except maybe vit D) because our diet provides an adequate quantity.

In the context of HCV and treatment there are observations that higher levels of some vitamins improved SVR rates with Interferon/Riba. As to whether this is applicable with DAAs it would be fair to say nobody know.

With Vitamin D it is fat soluble so will build up in your system over time so chronic overdosing is a problem

With Vitamin Bx - these are all water soluble and any excess is excreted in the urine so chronic overdosing is unlikely to be a problem.

With HCV treatment we are talking about increasing levels for 12-24 weeks which is unlikely to cause any issues.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debs, Chejai, Gaj, Lynne-Francis-facebook

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8997

Hello Dan, I have peripheral neuropathy too, mine started about 3 yrs ago with tingling, fingers & toes. I had tingly fingers anyhow because of carpal tunnel syndrome, I'd given up going to the rhumatologue becoz the little hammers & cortisone, I had a bit of achilles tendon too, I thought it was all related. It doesn't hurt, I found it not unpleasant really . It did get worse though, felt like bone pain or crawling in the tendons, spent a bit more time with the rhumato & bloodtesting before going to the hepato and now I'm all sorted, taking amitryptiline drops and still tingling slightly but not hurting. The hep dr has told me it can be caused by the virus, but mine isn't, she can tell from the blood tests. Mine's most likely alcohol abuse, though I'd like to think heavy trichlorethylene exposure might have contributed. She also said it won't get better, but it might not get any worse now I've stopped alcohol. So keep your eye on it won't you?. Best of luck.
Genotype 1a since 1973, f1-2, treatment naive, VL 6,56 log on 05/08/15; co-infection hepB (occult). Started 12 wks Twinvir on 17th march 2016.

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #8999

• Dan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thank you Suzy.

I hope that my symptoms will go away after the tx.

What king of blood tests did you do to check for that?
Gen 1b, F1-F2. Naive.

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #9008

• Chejai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • G3a 35yrsHCV
  • Thank you received: 289
Yes same, had Peripheral Neuropathy for few years or more (?). Started with numbness, burning in hands from Carpal Tunnel, got worse and then my feet, especially intense pain in heel. Woke me constantly at night and never able to get comfortable. During the day it was intermittent and then over a year ago I realised it was there constant 24/7, hands and feet. Had scans done, severe arthritis in spine means bone on bone pinching nerves - explained the shoulder, right arm/hand shooting pain, has secondary 'crushing' of nerve in the elbow; lumbar/sacral area pinches sciatic nerve and hence the shooting pain in legs and burning pain in heels. Dr said too many causes of peripheral neuropathy to know, I had asked about HepC but didn't think it was related. I take Lyrica for the nerve pain, not daily as prescribed but when I'm really doing badly.
I note triggers - driving, mowing and whipper/snipping - the vibration of any tools in my hands cripples me afterwards, writing and typing and carrying heavy bags, anything requiring clenching of hands. I have to space out my activities to avoid days of incapacity.

So, maybe the 24/7 burning & numbness might be HepC related and could be free of it but won't be free of the arthritis/CT problems.
QLD Australia ☀️
G3a HCV 35 yrs Tx naive
Started Sof/Dac 13/01/16

Dec '15
AST 70
ALT 89
GGT 124
Fibroscore 8.5
F1-F2
13 Feb'16 VL UND #woohoo!
AST 24
ALT 26
GGT 50H

Peripheral Neuropathy ? Toes? 8 years 2 months ago #9054

That's the size of it, but a lot of my joint pain has gone now too, so I think the booze has had a lot to do with that, booze + hep bad mix.

Dan, My Dr looked for cryoglobulines; I'm negative, so its not caused by the hvc.

best wishes
Genotype 1a since 1973, f1-2, treatment naive, VL 6,56 log on 05/08/15; co-infection hepB (occult). Started 12 wks Twinvir on 17th march 2016.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC