Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23752

Is it possible for a 14 year old boy who was born with genotype 1 in the UK to become part of the e-trials???

Thanks in Advance

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23754

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
It is possible to treat people <18 with DAAs but as they are only approved for people over 18 there is an extensive discussion required.

It has been done before. Here is the journey of a 15 yo boy who was treated.

fixhepc.com/forum/patient-stories/311-yo...e-dragon-slayer.html
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, Gaj, Boocock

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23755

• rightsaidfred
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • G3a infected 40 years ago
  • Thank you received: 326
Hello Boo,
If you're asking about your son, you must have been finding life very hard. Even if the 15yo isn't yours, you must care a lot to be making the enquiry. I am really sorry to learn about your trouble and his. Hepc is truly nasty and the NHS does not always deal with patients suffering with it well. We all know the NHS is hampered by lack of funds and the professionals in it operate in a difficult environment for that and other reasons, though most do their best. All this can upset patients and their loved ones, causing huge pain, frustration and feelings of helplessness. I speak as one who knows and wishes he didn't!
I followed the link Dr F gives in his response to you and it made me feel much more optimistic, as I had the feeling it would before I clicked on it. I hope and trust it has had that effect on you.
You have probably already realised what a good man James Freeman is and have some idea of what he and his supporters have managed to achieve. You may not quite believe that what you've found is real, but it is. I may not have felt well enough to write this post early on a Sunday morning without the treatment FHC made possible, but actually I'm pretty good, and so are lots of other people whose stories you can find here. They are a very warm and supportive group and have done a lot for me, just as they will for you.
All the best to both of you,
RSF
G3a. Probably infected 40 years ago.
Diagnosed July 2015
7/7/2015: ALP 69, ALT 209, WBC 5.8, VL 40,000. Fibroscan 9.5 Kpa.
Commenced treatment Sof/Dac (Natco Pharma) 24 wks in Feb 16
VL UND @ 4 wks, 12 wks

EOT 6/7/16
SVR 12
SVR 24

PHEW! Thank you so much Dr James, Monkmeds and all at Fixhepc
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, LondonGirl, coral, Vororo, Gaj

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23774

Hi Rightsaidfred,

He's not my son, he's my Brother. My nan has custody of him and I am a close advocate in his care. He contracted hep c genotype 1 at birth from our mother. It's a shit hand to be dealt. Untill December just gone we had no idea about any treatment other than the interferon type which we have chosen to avoid unless absolutely last resort. In the last 6 month his consultant has noticing some scarring appearing in his liver, at his December appointment she said she would try to get the harvoni treatment, but didn't know a) if it would be granted for him b) how long it would take to actually get it c) she might have to appeal for it because it costs such alot of money.
It's astounding to read that we could aqquire it for what I consider as not really alot of money. I'm going to speak further with Dr Freeman. Thankyou for your encouragement it's good to hear from other people, sometimes we have felt totally at a loss with my brother and so frightened for his future ...... But it's starting to feeling like the future will be bright!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, coral, Hazel

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23775

Hi Dr Freeman,

Thanks for the link.

We have already been advised by my brother's NHS consultant here in the UK that this treatment will become available for him at some point in the future. However how long and how easily we do not know.

It all just seems to good to be true.

It would be good to talk further and gather more information, get a better understanding of DAA's and how they work and discuss wether speeding the process up (quicker than the NHS here in the UK) is the right option for us.

Regards

Sara
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23776

• coral
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1812
Welcome Boo - what a great sister you are #flower

I'm so happy that you have found this site. It will be a great support for you and your brother over the next while.
I have just come to the end of my treatment. It was a bit of a longer treatment process for me but I have been cleared of the virus for quite a few months now and it's all looking good for the future. There are so many of us here who are living breathing examples of the ability to clear this virus with DAAs relatively quickly, with speedy access and without the dreadful side effects of interferon. A lot of us followed the story of our 15 year old friend posted here by Dr Freeman and we were overjoyed that it had such a happy ending. So there is no question that your brother can go on to live without Hep C.

I have two sons. The blood tests for my oldest son showed that at some time he had HepC but managed to clear it himself which does happen. I would have passed it on to him at birth and it is indeed a shit hand! We'll continue to monitor him but if things change I have every confidence in the new medication.

There is no better person to have in your corner than Dr Freeman but you will see that in so many of the posts. He has been my Dr throughout my treatment despite the fact that I live at the other end of Australia to him. You can make an appointment with him and talk to him via Skype through GP2U which is an online medical service in Australia. This is one very good option.

So keep asking questions and doing your research. We'll be keeping an eye out for you! #flower
G1a probably early 1980's, Biopsy F1(2010), F2-F3(2015). VL 5+mill; 2+mill (2014) Tx naive. Accessed Sof/Led through Dr Freeman at GP2U and Buyers Club (lifesavers!!!)
Commenced tx 12/11/15. 9 wk: VL <15 Detected but LFT = Normal 12 week results: UND (Yay!) Due to slow response commenced Sof/Dac 4 Feb for 12 weeks. EOT @ 24 weeks 27 April 2016. (With thanks to Dr Freeman et al). SVR11 result: VL 1,950,000. It's back!
New tx 030916 (Viekira Pak, Solvadi, Ribavirin UND @ 111116. EOT 170217.
SVR12 and SVR 24
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, Gaj, daniela

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23778

Sara, you should talk to Dr. Freeman further for sure.
Gt 1a, F0, VL 6.5 million, AST 59, ALT 62
Started Twinvir 1/15/16
6 wk. labs VL UND, AST 27, ALT 20
EOT labs VL UND, AST 23, ALT 19
SVR 16, VL UND, AST 28, ALT 17
SVR 24 , VL UND, 10/8/16
SVR 125, VL UND, 9/22/18
SVR 230, VL UND, 10/3/20

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23779

• Gaj
  • Optimist :-)
  • Thank you received: 3082
Welcome Sara! :)

coral wrote:
There is no better person to have in your corner than Dr Freeman but you will see that in so many of the posts. He has been my Dr throughout my treatment despite the fact that I live at the other end of Australia to him. You can make an appointment with him and talk to him via Skype through gp2u.com.au/about_us.html which is an online medical service in Australia. This is one very good option.

Fixed the link. ;)
G3a since '78 - Dx '12 - F4 (2xHCC)
24wk Tx - PEG/Riba/Dac 2013 relapsed
24wk Tx - Generic Sof/Dac/Riba 2015/16 relapsed
16wk Tx - 12/01/17 -> 03/05/17 NS3/NS5a + Generic Sof
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: coral

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 1 month ago #23780

Thankyou for all replies

Gives me hope to hear positive stories!!

And everyone is so welcoming and friendly!

My little brother is a special one, against all the odds he is the most respectful and pleasant teenager. He deserves this a million times over. And it is my duty to do whatever I can to better his future!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, LondonGirl

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 3 weeks ago #23882

Hi Boocock,

I am sorry to read your post regarding your brother, but am pleased to also able to offer hope in that you are in the best placed for independent expert advise.

I am UK based and am now thankfully clear of HepC thanks to FixHepC's Dr Freeman and his partners Monkmed - To whom I am forever grateful.

My own experience of the NHS was that they set you an appointment for a few months time saying something like 'we are hopeful we may be able to treat' etc Rather ambiguous. I decided not to wait as I was feeling ill and getting nowhere. The lack of a definite start date or even year, caused added stress and I didn't feel at all supported by my NHS team at that time.

As others here have said, I would book an online or telephone appointment with Dr Freeman to get an independent, unbiased opinion. There are also many more medicines available to the ones the NHS can offer and I believe the advise from Dr F superior to NHS advise as the latter are restricted by budget and bureacracy.

You may well get an offer of treatment here for your brother, but I would still advise Dr F's second opinion as to the best options as back up, if not the best course of action to help him back to good health. My story is an unusual one one. If I had been treated by NHS I would have surely failed the treatment as I was one of a small % to have a slow response and would not have been offered the treatment duration or medicines that finally cleared the virus for me.

I feel it's always best to know all your options and therefore make an informed decision as to which path to take. If you take the NHS route, they may restrict recommended treatment length, so you can add a top-up IF needed. (as I did) . I strongly feel this is something that needs to be shared.

I don't see any need whatsoever in these times to accept a treatment plan that involves Interferon, Are they still actually using this? I do hope not.

Anyway, rest assured, you are in the right place to get the very best independent advise possible and the support of a really genuine and caring community too. If accessing the medicines this way, my opinion is, it is essential you do so through a tried and trusted supply chain that also offers medical support and advise throughout treatment as they do here. Personally, I also would go for licensed generic medicines as the best option too, (although others here may have a different view on that) which FixHepC have access to.

I do hope I'm not bombarding you with info, it is a compkex disease and I wish you all the very best for getting your brother the treatment he needs and if I can be of any advise re NHS please feel welcome to PM me (unofficial as yet) patient advocate for UK patients seeking treatment via the generic route.

Warm wishes, LG.
GT1a Dec14 F2/8.7 VL 900000-2.5M
Jan16 Hepcivir-L MonkMed/Redemption
Baseline: VL 913575 Alt 76 Platelets low
Wk2 VL1157 Alt 23
DET Wk 8 VL 32 Alt19 'In the slow lane'
June16 Fibro 5.7 F0/1 LIF 1.5
Wk 11 VL<12 Alt 13 Det/Unq
Extending tx 12 wks Mylan Sofo/Dac MonkMed
Wk 14 VL <12 Det/Unq
Wk 16 VL UNDETECTED
Wk 22 + 4 Wks Sunprevir FixHepC
Wk 24 UNDETECTED Alt 13
Wk 12 post tx SVR12 Wk 26 SVR24
Thank-you Tim, Dr Debasis @ MonkMed & Dr Freeman @ Fix HepC
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, coral, MonkMed

Treatment for genotype 1 UK 7 years 2 weeks ago #23923

Hi , another UK one here.
When I was diagnosed the doctor who made a referral to hepatologist was kind enough to give the department a call and speak to someone from the team re options, wait times, and doctors. In that first phone call on the day of diagnosis someone from hepatology mentioned fixhepc as an option so it is already known and accepted by NHS consultants here. Then I seen one of the doctors privately and they agreed fixhepc route was the best in my circumstances. So it is not "either/or", they work in synergy and they monitored me while on treatment.
London girl, I got my not detected quite late as well , at the end of the first course so now I am on second one as you were.
Diagnosed September 2016.
1b
ALAT in 40s.
VL 460 000
Fibroscan 12.5
Start of treatment 18/10/16
Wk 2 VL 145
Wk 4 VL detected unquantifiable
Wk 8 VL detected unquantifiable
Wk 12 undetected
week 30 after eot - undetected
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, LondonGirl, coral