Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3569

• Browny
  • Browny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Dear All

I would like to know how people who are working have managed treatment - I work on year to year contracts and am the main income earner so I need to keep working.

I am thinking of taking a week off when I first start the medications hopefully at the end of December, but am wondering what other strategies would be useful - any advise of what worked and what didnt work would be useful.
Age 51 Genotype 3 since 1985, F3-F4, VL 5.3 (Nov), Tx naive.
Ordered Sof/Dac from Buyers Club 16 Nov which arrived 17 Dec, started tx 20 Dec
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ald-John-Freeman-google, pat1

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3570

I am just working through it Browny, day 5 and so far so good eh, started saturday and by monday I was used to the meds, I work in a factory doing some heavy work, not much thinking thank goodness, my brain has been fried by this virus,
3 years cured, Sof/Dac, thanks Doc Freeman, hepc only a distant memory, go for it ppl
The following user(s) said Thank You: pat1, Browny

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3572

• emilio
  • In the field of opportunity its ploughing time
  • Thank you received: 475
Hey Browny

Welcome, I think you will do well on tx and working. You may have a few dodgy days here and there but all in all you will have much more energy. Em
Geno 1b F2/3 snce early 80s. Treated in 2008_9 for 63 weeks on INF/Riba. Commence Sof/Dac on 6 October 2015 and completed 18 weeks of tx. UND at 4-6 weeks, UND at EOT, SVR 2, SVR 6 and SVR 12 on 6 May 2016.

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3577

• pat1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 977
I am interested in hearing about coping mechanisms for working while on treatment also. I am the sole income earner for my household. I work in customer service and administration - so together ideally I should present with a cheery welcoming countenance while paying attention to detail. To tell the truth I am struggling with this at the moment as I am waiting to begin treatment. Hopefully I will get through ok.
gt 1a VL 6m
F2/3 FibroScan - 9KPa in 2011 and 7KPa in 2015
sof/dac 10 December for 12 weeks
pre tx alt 85 ast 51
4 wk alt 34 ast 31 UND <35
8 wk alt 29 ast 32 UND <15
12wk alt 25 ast 25 EOT 3.3.16
SVR24 UND KPa5.3 F0 in normal range
I am well
.forever grateful to fixhepc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Browny

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3578

Hi Browny I started two weeks ago and had the first week off work as I didn't know how the meds would affect me. The only side effect I have had is insomnia. Bit of a shock to the system the first few days as I love my sleep and work in the legal industry so need my wits about me! This second week I am back at work and feel much better. Getting used to waking earlier.

Good luck and I am sure you will be okay to work.

Regards

Lynne
Lives in Bendigo, Victoria
No prior treatment Genotype 1b Fibroscan 0 (only showed a bit of a fatty liver) Diagnosed in February 2015 Currently on my last week of treatment taking led/sof Last LFT normal
Insomnia the only side effect
Undetected at 4 weeks
SVR4 - undetected - all bloods good and GP very happy
SVR12 bloods to be done at end of April 2016
SVR12 - undetected!!!

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3580

Hey Browny I work a 60+ hours per week in a demanding job doing shiftwork and am finishing week 6, bit buggered today after 14 1/2 hr day but only have 1 more week then I have 4 months off to look forward too :woohoo: . YMMV
Two time relapser.

SVR 4 achieved 12/16 at last
SVR 12 achieved 22/02/2017 The Bastard has been defeated :):):)

GT 3 - about 28 yrs with HCV
The following user(s) said Thank You: pat1

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3581

Browny wrote: Dear All

I would like to know how people who are working have managed treatment - I work on year to year contracts and am the main income earner so I need to keep working.

I am thinking of taking a week off when I first start the medications hopefully at the end of December, but am wondering what other strategies would be useful - any advise of what worked and what didnt work would be useful.

Usually the first week is flying high on the DAA's , being a female might be different. I don't try and over do it but sometimes it happens.
Two time relapser.

SVR 4 achieved 12/16 at last
SVR 12 achieved 22/02/2017 The Bastard has been defeated :):):)

GT 3 - about 28 yrs with HCV

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3606

• Browny
  • Browny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Hey thanks everyone for your replies - great to get your input.

Yes, I feel that currently, I struggle in the afternoon. I do project management which feels like beating out one grass fire after another and sometimes I wish there was something I could do to turbo charge my brain function to get it working better. So what some people seem to be saying is they arn't having bad cognitive side effects from treatment (except Jimmy6429 who sounds like he might).

But people are talking about insomnia - how are you feeling and working on not enough sleep? Sounds like a nightmare - if I dont get enough sleep I start to physically shake. Can't imagine 3 to 6 months of insomnia.

Any ideas that come up - let us know. And thanks, my doctor is supportive, but all I get from him is 'most people tolerate treatment well' - I don't think there is enough evidence and experience out there about how people go on the new treatments.

Thanks
Age 51 Genotype 3 since 1985, F3-F4, VL 5.3 (Nov), Tx naive.
Ordered Sof/Dac from Buyers Club 16 Nov which arrived 17 Dec, started tx 20 Dec

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3607

• emilio
  • In the field of opportunity its ploughing time
  • Thank you received: 475
Hey Browny

For me the thing is even on 5 to 6 hours a night, I don't feel like I need anymore. Occasional power nap after work etc but this need has lessened the further into tx. Any initial brain fog will lift once you get into the tx Em
Geno 1b F2/3 snce early 80s. Treated in 2008_9 for 63 weeks on INF/Riba. Commence Sof/Dac on 6 October 2015 and completed 18 weeks of tx. UND at 4-6 weeks, UND at EOT, SVR 2, SVR 6 and SVR 12 on 6 May 2016.

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3610

• 2b
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 495
Hey Browny, Im on my 16th/17th day, im the sole earner too, typically work 50 or more hours a week, job takes a lot of concentration, but no problem as far as side effect, haven't missed any work, the only problem ive had is with the SLEEP, cause when the meds pop my eyes open after only 3 hours of sleep, then I don't fall back asleep until 6AM, and then its time to get up and go at it, so for me, its just the messed up sleep cycle.

Having said that i saw the Dr. yesterday and said 'DOCTOR, I can't sleep, you gotta give me something here", and gave me a bottle of one of those ..razapams, so last night I slept all the way through and the wife therefore got her first good night's sleep too since I started the meds, cause I was keeping her awake all night getting in and out of bed.

If you have the sleep issue, which a lot of people do I hear, dont wait two weeks like I did, get in there and get something, for me it was not getting better, it was consistently 3 hours of sleep then POW, I was UP. . But OTHER than that...ive got nothing to bitch about and even that feels like a pretty whiney, minor thing to bitch about considering all in all.
GT 2b; since 80's, no prior tx, sofosbuvir and daclatasvir compounded from API's at Kingswood Pharmacy in Sydney, started tx nov 6,2015, undetected at 4 wks, UND at 8 weeks, UND at 1 week after EOT, UND at 4 weeks after EOT and UND at 8 weeks after EOT. " I feel GOOD!! I knew that I WOULD!"

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3612

Hi Browny

My energy levels have improved this week (being the second week on my treatment. I normally don't function well without a good nights' sleep but it certainly doesn't bother me that much this week because I am actually feeling "better" and the fatigue only comes and goes and is manageable. I haven't really read of anyone that has had really awful side effects but from my perspective I count myself incredibly lucky that insomnia is the only significant side effect that I have had so far.

Hope this helps.
Lives in Bendigo, Victoria
No prior treatment Genotype 1b Fibroscan 0 (only showed a bit of a fatty liver) Diagnosed in February 2015 Currently on my last week of treatment taking led/sof Last LFT normal
Insomnia the only side effect
Undetected at 4 weeks
SVR4 - undetected - all bloods good and GP very happy
SVR12 bloods to be done at end of April 2016
SVR12 - undetected!!!

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3615

• Bloot
  • Deep in the forest lives a tall tall tree
  • Thank you received: 88
I'm 17 days into Sof/ Dac and no sides at all
I sleep well, exercise as normal, and feel no more tired than before
I actually feel no better or worse and apart from the taste of the pills would think they were placebos (joking about the placebos)

I take mine about 6.30 - 7pm
I have them with either turmeric and rice milk, coconut juice, or apple cider vinegar and manuka honey
Apart from killing the strong taste, these are good for you in general and makes me feel like I'm doing something good for my body :-)

I am a big water drinker anyway, but now drink 3L+ per day, so being near a toilet is a necessity
I was out and about yesterday and didn't drink as much water as usual
I felt like my mouth was really dry that evening, so I think drinking lots of water is essential, esp when on this stuff

A consequence of my hep is that I use exercise as a way of warding off bad habits and so now I can't do without it
I made a commitment that I would do all i can to keep up my cardio work in particular so i feel good and tired at night
i try and choose interesting books (paper not screen) to read before bed and soon find myself nodding off :-)

Anyhoo, hope this helps
Good luck, but I think you may be surprised (as I am) at how little the side effect are
52 y.o. G3a for about 30 years
Previous tx 2004 interferon/ ribavarin
2004: ALT 624 AST 263

Pre tx test 23/10/15: ALT 153 AST 128 VL 11 849 493
6/11/15: Sof/ dac started
26/11/15: ALT 41 AST 41
7/12/15: ALT 36 AST 30 Virus undetected

2004 biopsy F3
Fibroscan appt Jan 11 2016.

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3619

• Gaj
  • Optimist :-)
  • Thank you received: 3082
Hi Browny,

8th day of Sof/Dac. I actually seem to feel a bit more focused that before and I seem to have a spring in my step for the first time in years. No real sides that I can determine at the moment. I'm sleeping 6-7 hours with one or two wakes through the night but easily drifting off again and waking refreshed in the morning.
G3a since '78 - Dx '12 - F4 (2xHCC)
24wk Tx - PEG/Riba/Dac 2013 relapsed
24wk Tx - Generic Sof/Dac/Riba 2015/16 relapsed
16wk Tx - 12/01/17 -> 03/05/17 NS3/NS5a + Generic Sof
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3661

• pat1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 977
Thank you Browny for your post.
All the replies have been so positive and immensely helpful to me as they are first hand accounts of responses and feelings about continuing work while under treatment. It's happening now and all attainable. I can clear the virus and live my life.
gt 1a VL 6m
F2/3 FibroScan - 9KPa in 2011 and 7KPa in 2015
sof/dac 10 December for 12 weeks
pre tx alt 85 ast 51
4 wk alt 34 ast 31 UND <35
8 wk alt 29 ast 32 UND <15
12wk alt 25 ast 25 EOT 3.3.16
SVR24 UND KPa5.3 F0 in normal range
I am well
.forever grateful to fixhepc

Browny working 9 to 5 8 years 4 months ago #3672

I should qualify my statement about cognitive issues with hepc. All of my issues started about ten years back and have become increasingly worse. Now at day 7 sof/dac my mind is very clear. Moods have improved and most anxiety has gone. Not sure if its placebo effect but I feel much better all over.
3 years cured, Sof/Dac, thanks Doc Freeman, hepc only a distant memory, go for it ppl
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC