Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Constipation with Daclatasvir/Sofosbuvir 6 years 10 months ago #24774

I am in week 3 of Daclatasvir/Sofosbuvir treatment for genotype 3. I immediately had more energy after starting the meds and one, brief night of no sleep but my sleep is back to normal. I also was drinking about one energy drink with Taurine, about 4 times a week and now after reading the posts from Dr. Freeman, I will not be drinking anymore and I hope I haven't screwed myself over with what I've already drunk. Earlier this week I woke up with tenderness in my stomach and wasn't able to go to the bathroom. I took Dulcolax and was able to have a bowel movement but now, three days later, I haven't had another bowel movement. Has anyone else had any problems with constipation while on these meds? It's kind of scaring me since I know the liver plays a huge role in digesting food. I had a fibrous score of 0-1 a year and a half ago when I got most of my tests done, but I'm scared about this inability to use the restroom all of a sudden. I know I don't drink enough water, I hate water but I made myself drink some yesterday, still no change. Anyone else have this problem? Thank you in advance.

Constipation with Daclatasvir/Sofosbuvir 6 years 10 months ago #24776

Hi heatherlou 30,

Sorry to hear that you're suffering ....... I've had digestive problems for years which I've always put down to the hep c. I'm week 10 on the same meds as you, the first few weeks I did have a problem with constipation. I was still managing to go but just not as much as usual, so nothing like as bad as you. However it was unusual for me as I never get constipated. After about 3 - 4 weeks my digestive system got back to normal, so with a bit of luck yours will too. Just hang in there, it will be so worth it when you've got rid of this horrible disease. You could try squatting on the toilet seat as it's a much better position to have a poo, if you can't cope with that then just lean forward as much as possible while sitting on the seat. Hope it helps and you feel better soon.
2b diagnosed about 10 years ago
Alt was 150 but got it down to a consistent 49 with Chinese herbal medicine
Started dac/sof 27/03/17
4 week test - liver function normal - alt 31
full blood count normal
RNA detected 26 IU/ml Log = 1.42
9 week test 26/05/17
bloods and liver function normal - alt 27
RNA detected <10 IU/ml
The following user(s) said Thank You: heatherlou30

Constipation with Daclatasvir/Sofosbuvir 6 years 10 months ago #24777

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hi Heatherlou,

All across medicine we see issues with bowels. There are many options to help regularity.

For me a cereal called sultana bran works wonders, but....

Psyllium husks for fibre are on the natural side.

Lactulose is a non-absorbable sugar that sucks water into your bowels and works as a flush. The advantage is you can dial the intensity up and down easily. 10 ml once a day is like the ultra low setting and 20-30-40 ml two-three-four times a day gets you to power flush levels. If you dial it up too much you simply dial it back a bit.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaj, heatherlou30

Constipation with Daclatasvir/Sofosbuvir 6 years 10 months ago #24782

• Mnem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Too many lives go into the making of just one. - Montale
  • Thank you received: 223
Hi Heatherlou,
Just remember, that when you increase the dietary fiber you need to increase your fluid intake too. Otherwise if you do not balance the fiber with fluid then it can bind you inside. You say you do not like drinking water, well there are other drinks that are mostly water. Coffee, tea, herbal teas, flavoured water all count for fluid balance. Vegetables and fruits are also full of water and fiber.

Sometimes if people eat less than usual, that leads to constipation too.
G2, infected maybe in 1971?
Diagnosed HVnon-A non-B 1980s, revised to HVC 1990's.
Treatment naive. Fibroscan & bloods all normal ranges.
Viral load 7million,
began Redemption trial4, 12-week generic Sof/Vel (Incepta) 2017. Week 4 UND, Week 12UND, SVR24
Thank-yous to my doctor for the script, to Jan at FixHepC for wrangling, and to Dr Freeman for courage.
Kia kaha e hoa ma!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, coral, Gaj, 2bornot2b, heatherlou30
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC