Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Are New Drugs for Hepatitis C Safe? A Report Raises Concerns 7 years 2 months ago #23712

• Gaj
  • Optimist :-)
  • Thank you received: 3082
Hi Sven,

Thanks, I'm aware of Lloyd Wright. If he has cured people of HCV without DAAs and has proof of doing so then he has the opportunity to significantly advance science and make a bundle more money than he does from selling his current wares. He has made such claims for many years without providing any supporting evidence so I won't be holding my breath waiting for him to change that pattern.

I would also look very carefully at the motives of whoever it is who is claiming the liver does not regenerate after taking DAAs. Here is one paper from the NIH regarding the subject. As it states, a small group seems not to improve but that group will include those with significant damage prior to treatment and those who have various other health factors that effect their outcome.

"Most patients demonstrate marked improvements in inflammation and fibrosis following SVR; however, in large clinical trials a minority of patients (7%-13%) maintain their level of fibrosis or even progress to cirrhosis despite achieving SVR"

"The presence of significant liver co-morbidities or risk factors such as alcohol consumption or fatty liver disease are likely causes for many of the cases in which progression occurs post-SVR."

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050744/

I very much understand that waiting for evidence of our own liver improvement can be worrying but the human body is a marvellous thing that does a fantastic job of healing itself particularly the liver. In my view the best way of achieving that is by providing it with suitable 'tools' to do its job which means maintaining a varied and healthy diet, exercise, positive thoughts, etc while reducing/removing things that delay or counteract its healing ability (stress, alcohol, etc.). Appropriate vitamins and possibly some supplements in suitable doses may help if you need them but your doctor and medical research are more likely to be able to determine that than someone who is trying to sell you something by making unsubstantiated claims.
G3a since '78 - Dx '12 - F4 (2xHCC)
24wk Tx - PEG/Riba/Dac 2013 relapsed
24wk Tx - Generic Sof/Dac/Riba 2015/16 relapsed
16wk Tx - 12/01/17 -> 03/05/17 NS3/NS5a + Generic Sof
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rohcvfighter

Are New Drugs for Hepatitis C Safe? A Report Raises Concerns 7 years 2 months ago #23716

• Gaj
  • Optimist :-)
  • Thank you received: 3082
Okay, so reading that paper more closely it appears that many of the cohort were from pre DAA treatments.

Here is a more recent one looking only at DAAs.

"Conclusion. Treatment of chronic HCV with DAAs leads to clinically relevant reduction in liver fibrosis over the first year post-treatment, measured by Fibroscan, even after controlling for elevated ALT"

academic.oup.com/ofid/article/doi/10.109...-Therapy-for-Chronic

The summary is that 51.1% had improved so far but that consisted of just those who improved by greater that 30% within the first 12 months of treatment and 57% of the cohort had "significant fibrosis" to begin with.

It is still early days for DAA treatments to be followed up long term and over time I would expect larger cohort studies and better long term results. If you google something like "fibrosis regression after DAA treatment" there are other recent trials that reach similar conclusions and I didn't see anyone attempting to claim what you have been told.
G3a since '78 - Dx '12 - F4 (2xHCC)
24wk Tx - PEG/Riba/Dac 2013 relapsed
24wk Tx - Generic Sof/Dac/Riba 2015/16 relapsed
16wk Tx - 12/01/17 -> 03/05/17 NS3/NS5a + Generic Sof
SVR7 - 22/06/17 UND
SRV12 - 27/07/17 UND
SVR24 - 26/10/17 UND
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rohcvfighter
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC