The following user(s) said Thank You: dointime, klhilde, Joy, Vororo, Jimmy6429

APIs are getting cheaper 8 years 4 months ago #5574

• sonix
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Music is life
  • Thank you received: 359
Wow.

In the case of sofosbuvir, they found that even assuming a 50% profit margin for the manufacturer to cover capital investment and return to shareholders, it would now be possible to sell a 12-week course of the drug for $178.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gilead sources their APIs from one of the generic manufacturers anyway.
In another article posted here, Gilead reports about 8 billion dollars per quarter revenue. Are there any humans involved? Do they have no morals or compassion? I'm starting to think they are just electronic bean counters.
M 61yo HCV+ ~ 30 yrs Gt1a F2 VL 223,000 ALT 54 AST 42 Tx start Sof/Dac 17Dec15.
SVR4 at 7Apr16 ALT 22 AST 22
SVR12 at 9Jun16 ALT 23 AST 25
Melbourne, Australia

APIs are getting cheaper 8 years 4 months ago #5578

• coral
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1812
"In the case of hepatitis C treatment, people could take matters into their own hands without waiting for governments. In Australia the FixhepC buyers club is working to assist individuals in buying generic drugs to treat hepatitis C, carrying out quality testing to ensure that they contain active pharmaceuticals, and importing the drugs for personal use."

Thanks for the article Alsdad. It's good to see FixhepC get a mention at an international forum. I hope we may have another champion in Dr Andrew Hill from Liverpool University.

"In the case of sofosbuvir, they found that even assuming a 50% profit margin for the manufacturer to cover capital investment and return to shareholders, it would now be possible to sell a 12-week course of the drug for $178."

However much I read these type of figures the greed of the pharmaceutical companies still does my head in.

Coral
G1a probably early 1980's, Biopsy F1(2010), F2-F3(2015). VL 5+mill; 2+mill (2014) Tx naive. Accessed Sof/Led through Dr Freeman at GP2U and Buyers Club (lifesavers!!!)
Commenced tx 12/11/15. 9 wk: VL <15 Detected but LFT = Normal 12 week results: UND (Yay!) Due to slow response commenced Sof/Dac 4 Feb for 12 weeks. EOT @ 24 weeks 27 April 2016. (With thanks to Dr Freeman et al). SVR11 result: VL 1,950,000. It's back!
New tx 030916 (Viekira Pak, Solvadi, Ribavirin UND @ 111116. EOT 170217.
SVR12 and SVR 24

APIs are getting cheaper 8 years 4 months ago #5580

• Chejai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • G3a 35yrsHCV
  • Thank you received: 289
Thanks Alsdad for that article it was very interesting and I went onto read another on the site re the deal Gilead has done with Egypt. I didn't know Egypt has the highest rate of HCV infection because of their multiple use of the same syringes to vaccinate kids decades ago and similar practices now, including family members sharing toothbrushes. I'm always horrified to hear of people borrowing someone's toothbrush :sick:

They are particularly controlling with this 'experiment' because they don't want people in middle to high income countries to access the drugs :angry:

Not all Psychopaths become serial killers - many become the CEO's/CFO's of big corps; as well as Politicians and High Ranking officials - because their lack of empathy and compassion makes them successful at what they do! That is how they sleep at night and the rest of us can't imagine how they live with themselves.
QLD Australia ☀️
G3a HCV 35 yrs Tx naive
Started Sof/Dac 13/01/16

Dec '15
AST 70
ALT 89
GGT 124
Fibroscore 8.5
F1-F2
13 Feb'16 VL UND #woohoo!
AST 24
ALT 26
GGT 50H
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alsdad, Paul-Jarman-facebook, splitdog

APIs are getting cheaper 8 years 4 months ago #5627

Excellent article Alsdad. Finally somebody is laying out the playing field the way it actually looks.

"But many of the middle-income countries with a high burden of hepatitis C, such as China, Brazil, Ukraine and Latin America, will continue to be excluded by the terms of voluntary licensing agreements from obtaining Indian generics – unless they pursue compulsory licensing. Dr Hill reminded the conference that the South African government’s threat to use compulsory licensing had been critical in opening the way to lower antiretroviral drug prices in the early 2000s."

"In the case of hepatitis C treatment, people could take matters into their own hands without waiting for governments. In Australia the FixhepC buyers club is working to assist individuals in buying generic drugs to treat hepatitis C"

So the world has the means to end the rationing of hepC drugs. Ie. use compulsory licensing - an internationally legal mechanism, and/or set up buyers clubs. Of the two, compulsory licensing is the more comprehensive approach for a country to gain the means of eradicating hepC. So you have to ask - why wouldn't any country with a large hepC population follow South Africa's lead and at least make a credible threat to introduce compulsory licensing? The way has even been paved for them to do so without the threat of international trade sanctions. Where are their financial spending priorities if not on a public health epidemic? I suspect that therein lies the answer.

dt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chejai
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC