Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New from Costa Rica 6 years 10 months ago #24425

• Maz
  • Maz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Greetings All:
I've had Hep C a long time and my health really sucks, esp the last 5 years. When I was in US I was denied access to treatment by insurance because my liver still had some life in it, even though my general health kept declining. I read here many similar stories.
So, I am very excited to get the treatment started here. I am new to this site and appreciate ANY help/wisdom/info/encouragement I can get as I start.
One quick question...does anyone have experience or info specific to shipping to Costa Rica?
I did ask a doc here if she would support this effort with whatever she needs to do and she said "Sure". So that is good. Though I have only a general idea of the blood tests that may be necessary.
Glad to be here and get to know you folks!

Maz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, coral, mgalbrai, Sven, Iain

New from Costa Rica 6 years 10 months ago #24426

• Mnem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Too many lives go into the making of just one. - Montale
  • Thank you received: 223
Welcome Maz! It is so good that you have got this far. Now, go to the tab at the top of the page headed GP Cheat Sheet. That will answer your basic question. Once you have read that come back here and ask your next question.
G2, infected maybe in 1971?
Diagnosed HVnon-A non-B 1980s, revised to HVC 1990's.
Treatment naive. Fibroscan & bloods all normal ranges.
Viral load 7million,
began Redemption trial4, 12-week generic Sof/Vel (Incepta) 2017. Week 4 UND, Week 12UND, SVR24
Thank-yous to my doctor for the script, to Jan at FixHepC for wrangling, and to Dr Freeman for courage.
Kia kaha e hoa ma!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Iain, Maz

New from Costa Rica 6 years 10 months ago #24429

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hi Maz,

Getting the meds to Costa Rica is doable.

The suggested workup tests are listed here: fixhepc.com/forum/forum-gp-cheat-sheet.html

For a person in reasonable health simply taking the medication and checking for SVR is not unreasonable. They are, in the scheme of things, very clean medications with minimal side effects in most people.

Patients who are unwell need all the workup listed.
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgalbrai, Gaj, Sven, Mnem, Maz

New from Costa Rica 6 years 10 months ago #24430

• Maz
  • Maz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Thank you for the responses. I had read, and read again, the cheat sheet. A very clear explanation. And hearing that limited testing may be possible sounds good too. I will most likely get most tests done, and of course the check for SVR, but who knows what testing limitations I may encounter. Though the medical here is pretty good if one has access or mucho dinero .

I was concerned with mail and imports and customs here in Costa Rica. I have been here a little over a year and have heard many unhappy stories. Just don't want things to get hung up or sidetracked if I can prevent it. Another option many people do is ship stuff to another country and have someone fly it in. Works good for small stuff. Sometimes car parts, electronics, etc. Need to figure it out. I'll be asking folks with more experience here in CR.

I also went through the drug combo chooser and came up with 2 choices. Wow, this place is solid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgalbrai, Mnem

New from Costa Rica 6 years 10 months ago #24431

• Mnem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Too many lives go into the making of just one. - Montale
  • Thank you received: 223
Hi Maz, I too had two DAA treatment options, so difficulty deciding which option I would prefer :unsure: All the drugs available here are good, so I might as well have flipped a coin to decide. It could have saved a lot of time if I'd gone that route. Instead I read every recent relevant study I could find. One of them that showed a 1% better chance of SVR. Now that 1% in my situation is infinitesimal, but it was the decider. So my #love advice to you ... flip a coin!
G2, infected maybe in 1971?
Diagnosed HVnon-A non-B 1980s, revised to HVC 1990's.
Treatment naive. Fibroscan & bloods all normal ranges.
Viral load 7million,
began Redemption trial4, 12-week generic Sof/Vel (Incepta) 2017. Week 4 UND, Week 12UND, SVR24
Thank-yous to my doctor for the script, to Jan at FixHepC for wrangling, and to Dr Freeman for courage.
Kia kaha e hoa ma!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames

New from Costa Rica 6 years 10 months ago #24436

Hi Maz,

Dr. Freeman said getting the meds to Costa Rica is doable.

Therefore, I suggest you apply for the Redemption trials (link at top of the page) they offer a money back guarantee if you do not receive the meds. That is your best bet.
Gt 1a, F0, VL 6.5 million, AST 59, ALT 62
Started Twinvir 1/15/16
6 wk. labs VL UND, AST 27, ALT 20
EOT labs VL UND, AST 23, ALT 19
SVR 16, VL UND, AST 28, ALT 17
SVR 24 , VL UND, 10/8/16
SVR 125, VL UND, 9/22/18
SVR 230, VL UND, 10/3/20
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, mgalbrai, Gaj, Sven, Mnem

New from Costa Rica 6 years 10 months ago #24438

Hi Maz,
I know of another in CR who got the meds with no problem. REDEMPTION will make sure they arrive.
The Doc says "doable",
It's doable.
Good Luck & Get Well!
m
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
forums.delphiforums.com/generichcvtx

G 1a F-1
Started tx 10/23/15 (Meso sof & led) ALT 48 AST 28 v/l 1.6 mil
11/17/15 4 wk lab ALT 17 AST 16 <15
11/18/15 Started Harvoni
12/16/15 8 wk lab ALT: 15 AST: 13 V/l UND
1/14/16 Fin. Tx
7/07/16 UND SVR 24
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, Gaj, Hazel, Sven, Mnem
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC