Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My Epclusa Journey Wk 2 4 years 11 months ago #27793

Today is day 14 of taking Epclusa.
I am 54, and work full time. I have told no one about my treatment, except my immediate family.
During the first 10 days, I would go through several hours in the morning where I would feel foggy, rapid heartbeat and nausea or headaches. But then it would pass. In the evenings I would often go through the same thing. But those side effects have seemed to have mostly passed during the last few days.
I often get one or two hives on my back (the size of a pea), in the evening.
Before starting Epclusa I was concerned about the drug interactions from a couple of medications I take. I take Propranolol and Temazepam. I was told to monitor my blood pressure, and found that it drops quite a bit as the evenings progresses. The first couple of days of starting Epclusa I was so scared to go to sleep in fear of not waking up! I read that eating some salty foods would increase blood pressure. I'm pretty healthy and really watch my weight. So I didn't want to start chowing on chips and unhealthy foods. As ridiculous as this may sound, I eat 2 green olives from a jar before bed. And it works for me! Ha!
All in all so far, treatment is better than I expected. So we will see as time goes.
I will update at week 4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: coral, hanknassi, Mar

My Epclusa Journey Wk 2 4 years 11 months ago #27795

• Mar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 767
Hi Lisa, I'm glad that most of the side effects have passed. That's typical, most patients who experience side effects do so during the first week only then start feeling a lot better. Both Propranolol and Temazepam do not interact with Epclusa, so there is no need to worry. It's great that you're eating healthy, that's important for both Hep C treatment and your health in general. Looking forward to your 4 weeks update, so far so good :+1:
The following user(s) said Thank You: coral, hanknassi

My Epclusa Journey Wk 2 4 years 11 months ago #27796

Hi Lisa,

You are doing well with Epclusa, these new DAAs are powerful drugs. I was one of the minority on Epclusa who experience extreme fatigue throughout treatment. I would not have been able to hold down a job. After treatment I returned to normal and almost a year later now I reached SVR24 and feel fine no problems. Best wishes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, coral, hanknassi, Mar, Hope8

My Epclusa Journey Wk 2 4 years 11 months ago #27799

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hello LisaOregon,

Thanks for the update. Knock on wood, but it should be smooth sailing from here on in.

Best Wishes

James
YMMV

My Epclusa Journey Wk 2 4 years 7 months ago #28023

I'm on day 5 of my Epclusa (Hep C , Genotype 2). I hav ehad various mild side effects, but off and on I seem to get a sensation of my chest tightening, almost like the beginning of a panic attack. If I get active doing some mild chore, or playing guitar, it gets my mind off this sensation. Other wise, intermittently I get a cough, usually when the chest-tightening symptom is occurring. Mild headache comes and goes. General fatigue is present, but not overwelming, except on Day 3, when I did 3 hours of carpentry work, and thought I was going to pass out directly afterwards. I use 20 mg of prescribed atorvastatim, but spoke to my pharmacist and now have reduced that to 10 mg. I'm 65 and likely contracted my HepC 45 -48 yrs ago. I hope I make it through my 12 weeks. OLD Dave

My Epclusa Journey Wk 2 4 years 7 months ago #28025

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hi Dave,

65's not that old! It's not unusual to notice something going on when treatment is started and people's experiences vary. Usually things settle after a week or two when most of the virus has been killed off.

Although 65 is not that old, it is old enough that other stuff starts to happen and just because you're on treatment does not mean what you're experiencing is related to it.

Tightness in the chest is one of those things that worries doctors as it is a feeling patients get when there are problems with the plumbing to the heart - ie cardiovascular disease. Were you getting any of this before you started treatment? If so you should definitely get checked out by your doctor.
YMMV

My Epclusa Journey Wk 2 4 years 7 months ago #28029

Hi Dave
You WILL make it through your 12 weeks of Epclusa treatment, and it will be well worth it!!
I finished 12 weeks of Epclusa on July 3rd. I am feeling a certain energy and a mental sharpness that I don't remember having since before I was 20 years (I am 54 yrs now. Had Hep C genotype 4 since early 20's.). At 4 weeks of treatment it was jaw dropping to find that the Hep C virus was undetected. That gave me great motivation to keep going!
You are so young at 65 years with plenty of good years ahead! Drink lots of water and get exercise each day!
I look forward to hearing how you are doing. Hang in there!
Lisa
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJames, coral, Iain, hanknassi, Mar
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC