Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Plasma donation 2 years 7 months ago #29364

I contracted hep C in the mid 70's. I went through successful treatment in 2010. I have a blood exam every year with no signs of HepC. I was thinking about donating Plasma. The plasma donation center says they test for Hep C. Will I be excluded from donating? What do they look for in the blood results so I can check my most recent lab tests.

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: hanknassi, Mar

Plasma donation 2 years 7 months ago #29368

• Mar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 767
Hi Perecarl, welcome to the forum. It's really great that you're trying to donate plasma and help people in need. Hopefully Dr Freeman will see your post and answer your question soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hanknassi

Plasma donation 2 years 6 months ago #29373

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hi Perecarl,

Sorry for the delayed response. In my other life I founded a Telehealth company that I've just completed selling.

Anyway I would not expect you to be able to donate plasma. The presence of antibodies to HCV is one of the exclusion criteria. This is from the Red Cross in Australia but is representative of the policies around the world.

www.lifeblood.com.au/faq/eligibility/med...procedures/hepatitis

Hepatitis C:
If you currently have or have ever had hepatitis C, you aren’t able to donate even if you completed successful treatment. 

One of the screening tests for hepatitis C tests for the hepatitis C antibody, which usually remains positive for life. Donations can’t be used if they test positive to any screening test for an infectious disease.

Don't be disappointed though, because there are other ways you can help. You can spread the word about how blood saves lives on social media (find us @lifebloodau), register your intent to be an organ donor (if you’re 16 or over), or support the great humanitarian work of the Australian Red Cross.

YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: coral, hanknassi, Mar
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC