Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re-infection due to contaminated intimate objects 5 years 9 months ago #26684

• SHarmon
  • SHarmon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 131
I was curious about any cases where relapse was attributed to items like a tooth brush where the patient has inflamed and bleeding gums or straight edge razors (or other non disposable razor types) , etc. Has there been any confirmed cases of this where blood contamination on the instrument kept re-introducing the virus into the system eventually causing a relapse once the meds were stopped.

During my tx I shot out anything that may have been contaminated with my blood prior to treatment and used a disposable toothbrush/razor , using a new toothbrush every week until the end of treatment. Once the treatment was finish I put a new head on the sonic care and left my straight edge submersed in Cavacide for 24 hours before reusing it at the EOT. Hep C has a rather long shelf life outside the body and I can see this as being a way to re-infect yourself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: coral, hanknassi, Mar

Re-infection due to contaminated intimate objects 5 years 9 months ago #26690

Question -

During treatment, should I be changing out my toothbrushes & razor?

thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: hanknassi, Mar

Re-infection due to contaminated intimate objects 5 years 9 months ago #26704

Hi lifepivoting,

during treatment I used disposable razors and cheap toothbrushes as much as I could.

Bleach and water for the toothbrushes and changing them after a few days, and daily change of razor for quite a few weeks. Backed off a bit later on to just bleaching toothbrushes and every second day ditching the razor.

Figured it was cheap enough to put the mind at rest.

Used the cheapest toothbrushes and razors I could find as well. They were that crappy you would want to change them anyway!

In the big scheme of things, a few extra dollars over the week - not much more then a good cup of coffee though. At worst a few minor lacerations to the face, and a very weird taste in the mouth is my main memory of that time.

All the best,

Jeff
GT3a 1990 Failed Inter 1998, comb in 2000. HCC 2012
Started 24/52 Sof/Dac 27th October 2015.
1. Bloods 2 October 2015: AST - 165 (20-40), ALT - 265 (5-40), GGT 189 (5-50)
2, Bloods 20 November 2015: ALT etc normal; VL 19
3. Bloods 8 January 2016: AST - 40, ALT - 59, GGT 48 VL RNA UND
4. EOT 12 April 2016 - blood tests: all is well, CT scan: okay
5. AFP 11 June 2016: 4 ref< 11
6. VL July 2016: DET
7. Oct16 start treat - June17 UND
8. Jun 18, lfts okay, platelets a bit low.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hanknassi, Mar, lifepivoting

Re-infection due to contaminated intimate objects 5 years 9 months ago #26710

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hep C can lve outside the body for 6 weeks.

It’s probable that at the start of treatment both your razor and toothbrush are infectious. Changing them a couple of times early on is sensible but mos peopke are undetected at 4 weeks so after that...
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: coral, hanknassi, SHarmon, Mar, lifepivoting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC