I am sorry to read your post regarding your brother, but am pleased to also able to offer hope in that you are in the best placed for independent expert advise.
I am UK based and am now thankfully clear of HepC thanks to FixHepC's Dr Freeman and his partners Monkmed - To whom I am forever grateful.
My own experience of the NHS was that they set you an appointment for a few months time saying something like 'we are hopeful we may be able to treat' etc Rather ambiguous. I decided not to wait as I was feeling ill and getting nowhere. The lack of a definite start date or even year, caused added stress and I didn't feel at all supported by my NHS team at that time.
As others here have said, I would book an online or telephone appointment with Dr Freeman to get an independent, unbiased opinion. There are also many more medicines available to the ones the NHS can offer and I believe the advise from Dr F superior to NHS advise as the latter are restricted by budget and bureacracy.
You may well get an offer of treatment here for your brother, but I would still advise Dr F's second opinion as to the best options as back up, if not the best course of action to help him back to good health. My story is an unusual one one. If I had been treated by NHS I would have surely failed the treatment as I was one of a small % to have a slow response and would not have been offered the treatment duration or medicines that finally cleared the virus for me.
I feel it's always best to know all your options and therefore make an informed decision as to which path to take. If you take the NHS route, they may restrict recommended treatment length, so you can add a top-up IF needed. (as I did) . I strongly feel this is something that needs to be shared.
I don't see any need whatsoever in these times to accept a treatment plan that involves Interferon, Are they still actually using this? I do hope not.
Anyway, rest assured, you are in the right place to get the very best independent advise possible and the support of a really genuine and caring community too. If accessing the medicines this way, my opinion is, it is essential you do so through a tried and trusted supply chain that also offers medical support and advise throughout treatment as they do here. Personally, I also would go for licensed generic medicines as the best option too, (although others here may have a different view on that) which FixHepC have access to.
I do hope I'm not bombarding you with info, it is a compkex disease and I wish you all the very best for getting your brother the treatment he needs and if I can be of any advise re NHS please feel welcome to PM me (unofficial as yet) patient advocate for UK patients seeking treatment via the generic route.
Warm wishes, LG.
GT1a Dec14 F2/8.7 VL 900000-2.5M
Jan16 Hepcivir-L MonkMed/Redemption
Baseline: VL 913575 Alt 76 Platelets low
Wk2 VL1157 Alt 23
DET Wk 8 VL 32 Alt19 'In the slow lane'
June16 Fibro 5.7 F0/1 LIF 1.5
Wk 11 VL<12 Alt 13 Det/Unq
Extending tx 12 wks Mylan Sofo/Dac MonkMed
Wk 14 VL <12 Det/Unq
Wk 16 VL UNDETECTED
Wk 22 + 4 Wks Sunprevir FixHepC
Wk 24 UNDETECTED Alt 13
Wk 12 post tx SVR12 Wk 26 SVR24
Thank-you Tim, Dr Debasis @ MonkMed & Dr Freeman @ Fix HepC