Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Worried and new 4 years 9 months ago #27933

• Nerv02
  • Nerv02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello all i think i may have been exposed to hep c in 2009 started taking test and got the results below.
Not sure what it means my doctor are saying i am over reacting but i keep getting yellow poop and light brown poop
The following user(s) said Thank You: hanknassi, Mar

Worried and new 4 years 9 months ago #27935

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
Hello Nerv02,

Sorry you are worrying.

Either you have been infected with Hep C or you have not. Most people exposed to other people with Hep C do not contract it - you need direct blood to blood contact.

To check for infection we do a Hep C antibody test. If this is negative you have not been infected so stop worrying. If this is positive read on...

25% of people infected with Hep C get rid of it themselves.

To check this we do an HCV PCR RNA test. If this is negative your immune system has cleared the v virus so stop worrying. If it is positive read on...

Ok, so you are infected with Hep C - treatment is easy, not too expensive, and cure rates are 95%

Just walk yourself through the steps and if you need to get treated, well that's what we are here for.
YMMV

Worried and new 4 years 9 months ago #27950

• Nerv02
So not sure what to do my doctor gave me this test Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Antibody With Reflex to Qualitative NAA and the results we 0.5 he said that is "normal" but not sure how its normal to have hep c all? Does this mean my body got rid of it or is there another test i should take ?

Worried and new 4 years 9 months ago #27951

• Nerv02
I have my results fromnthe other test do i need to buy the medicine or is there another test i should take ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: hanknassi

Worried and new 4 years 9 months ago #27952

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello Nerv02,

What we don't have here is the screening test for Hep C which is the Hep C antibody test. You should get that done.

What we do have is a whole lot of normal tests showing you have normal liver function with a normal ALT and AST - these are liver enzymes that go up when anything (including Hep C) is damaging your liver. The fact that you have normal values suggest you don't have anything damaging your liver.

I have seen about 1 patient in 1000 who does have Hep C and also has normal liver function, so that's roughly the chances of you having Hep C. A simple $10 antibody test for Hep C will put your mind at rest, let you know you don't have it, and therefore don't need any treatment.

So, looks like you don't actually have the problem you're worrying about.

Your kidneys and blood all look good too.
YMMV

Worried and new 4 years 9 months ago #27953

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If your antibody is normal then you either

A. Do not have Hep C.
B. Caught it in the last few weeks and there has not been enough time for the antibody to go positive.

If you have a look at this:

You will see that the antibody (red line Anti-HCV) is expected to be over the normal range (10-11 depending on the lab) within about 1 month of being exposed to Hep C. Your value of 0.5 is well below that... Also note that the ALT enzyme rises before the antibody - and we know (from the results below) that your ALT has not risen.
YMMV
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: coral, hanknassi, Mar
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC