Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #18756

Hi everyone.

I'm now 3 weeks post treatment (Harvoni) and my last PCR taken the day after finishing treatment was negative. I'm now waiting for my 12 week post treatment test to hopefully confirm my SVR. A question I have is what are the chances of re-infection from utensils such as nail clippers and nail scissors, tweezers and tooth brushes? I hadn't even considered this until today. I've just wiped all my utensils (except tooth brushes) with alcohol swabs but am I worrying needlessly? How long does HCV survive on those surfaces? Maybe I should just throw them all out?? Probably too late for the toothbrushes as I've continued to use them over the past 8 weeks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pat1, beaches, rohcvfighter, fitz

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #18769

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 7263
HCV has been proven to live for up to 6 weeks outside the body so anything with blood on it could be a risk.

For <$50 I would be inclined to renew all those little personal grooming items.

None are a big risk, except razors which are the big risk item because we do cut ourselves with them relatively routinely so the potential for blood blood contact is reasonably clear (plus I have personally seen 2 parents get infected by a son using mum and dads razors)
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: pat1, mgalbrai, beaches, Hieupham, Bob in ireland, rohcvfighter, Meg, cheese, fitz, Momo

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #18775

• fitz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Cured with generic DAAs. Hep C kills. Treat now!
  • Thank you received: 1816
Coming up on 4 weeks tx. Changing my razor blade and toothbrush tonight!
Failed Interferon 96', G1a, VL = 9 - 5.5 Million, F3/A3, AST 111, ALT 190, Generic DAA treatment Sof/Led (Mylan - India MYHEP LVIR) - 8 June, 2016
2 Week Results 20 June, 2016 AST 19, ALT 32
4 Week Results 06 July, 2016 AST 22, ALT 30, VL = 35
6 Week Results 20, July 2016 VL only = HCV RNA Detected, Non-Quantifiable <15
8 Week Results 04 August 2016, Labs, LFTs Normal, VL = UND
12 Week Results 31 August, 2016 LFTs Normal, VL = UND
EOT + 4 Weeks, LFTs Normal, VL = UND, "SVR4"
SVR12, 21 Nov 2016. CURED!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: pat1, beaches, Hieupham, Meg

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #18792

Thanks for the advice Dr Freeman. Those personal grooming utensils are in the bin! False economy to keep them even with a good bleaching. I don't want the Dragon returning EVER!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meg, fitz

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #18794

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bleach is good for cleanup but remember that in the CSSD (Central Sterile Services Department) step 1 is a good scrub clean to remove everything that can be removed and a good rinse (the solution is dilution).

Thin bleach 10:1 dilution should work fine, 10 minutes exposure time should work fine.

www.harmreductionworks.org.uk/2_films/do...g_syringes_work.html
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: beaches, Bob in ireland, Meg, fitz

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #19105

• Archer
  • Brief is life...love is long..
  • Thank you received: 176
Damn I forgot about this ....and I imagine more likely to occur with cirrhotics who have low platelets and may bleed more easily from the gums etc. Just another stressor I didn't need. Anyone know the incubation time for HCV ? If re-infected how soon would it be detectable in blood test ?

Just another thing the clinics and health system generally fail to emphasise and reinforce when they put people on treatment - no wonder HCV sufferers feel neglected. Just as they failed to inform me about ascites complications - provided spironolactone but wasn't told how abdominal tissue can tear or the effect on lungs till I was admitted to ER. I have to keep reminding myself of the incredible work load pressure they are all under.

The doctors are under sufficient pressure dealing with individual case by case issues - with general information such as this patients should be personally told by nurses and given fact sheets ( attractive, shiny, colourful cards made by the health dept) - and told that it is very important, needs to be read and taken away as a constant reminder.
Fem. Gen 1a.18.4 kPa. IL28b - CT. Cirrhosis 4B/c. MELD 11. Portal Hypertension. Ascites. Varices. (Gr.3). post surgical Coma 2011- Tx denied. 15/09 - INR 1.2 platelets 58 (150-450) albumin 32 (35-50) bilirubin 40 (2-20) ALT 183 (0-45) AST 281(0-41) GGT 39(0-45). Liver lesions AFP 16 <8.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fitz

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #19108

" with general information like this patients should be told and given fact sheets (produced by the health dept) personally by the nurses and told that it is very important and needs to be read and taken away as a constant reminder."

I couldn't have said it better myself Archer. Patients should be advised by an information fact sheet. Such simple precautions to ensure we don't get reinfected.

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #19110

• DrJames
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
HCV incubation Period 15 to 50 days (average: 28 days).
YMMV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archer, fitz

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #19112

• beaches
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The life you save will be your own. START TREATMENT
  • Thank you received: 2254
When I first got diagnosed I threw out all the nail clippers in the house that I could find, and bought 2 sets - mine and not mine.
Explained why and also the risks.
Was my advice listened to? Waddaya reckon? You can lead a horse to water......
Genotype 1a
Diagnosed in 2004, had HCV for all my adult life. Until 2016!!!!
Harvoni treatment, started 19 March 2016
4 week results Bilirubin 12 down from 14 pre treatment,
Gamma 25 down from 52, ALT 19 down from 63, AST 19 down from 47,
VL <15 down from a lazy 6 million or so

EOT Results
Bilirubin 10, GGT 18, ALT 19, AST 21, VL UND

12 Weeks post EOT
Bilirubin 11, GGT 16, ALT 22, AST 20, VL UND
Cured baby
The following user(s) said Thank You: LondonGirl, fitz

Possible reinfection route 7 years 8 months ago #19133

• rohcvfighter
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Vindecat de HCV cu med. generice. Cured with generics HCV drugs.
  • Thank you received: 1594
Just an idea: I believe that many have faced various concerns, fears or phobias before, during and after the treatment, until they finally received the SVR 12/24 result of "undetected" or the sad one of "relapse".

Would it perhaps make sense to open a separate thread, so that people may talk about such type of worries?

Regards,
RHF
In fiecare an HCV ucide peste 500000 oameni.Medicamentele generice pentru hepatita C functioneaza. Nu deveni statistica! Cauta pe Google “medicamente generice pentru hepatita C”.
HCV kills more than 500000 people every year. HCV generic drugs work. Don't become a statistic.
By sharing this Youtube video you might save someone’s life!
My TX: HEPCVIR-L[generic Harvoni]-India
SVR52 achieved
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Copyright © 2015-2020 FixHepC